what to study??

Discussion in 'Education' started by marina13, May 29, 2009.

1. marina13

marina13 New Member

Hello!
    I'm a student from Spain and I was considering studying some sort of engineering based degree on yacht design, putting together my hobby of sailing and my aspiration of becoming an engineer. I am currently studying in a british school so I would see no problem in going to uni in the UK.

I have heard that naval engineering (as its called here) in Spain isn't very good for people who want to design yachts and racing boats. It mostly concentrates on big motor boats and I am not very interested in these.

What I really want to do is design boats such as the ones in the America's cup or the volvo and I know that it sounds pretty off as I have a long way to go until I can do that. I have had many people telling me that it is not easy to design such boats and that sheer intellect doesn't get you very far, but I am determined to do so.

I was wondering whcih course I should study and would appreciate any advice given.

A well-known yacht designer recommended me the yacht and powercraft design course at southampton solent (former institute) and it looks very promising but I would like to hear other people's opinions on it.
    I have my doubts about it because the uni as a whole is ranked very low in the times guide, even though that is not a good indicator for a specific course. Also, the university asks for a VERY low entry level and I was wondering if that could be so because it wasn't that good.

thanks in advance!

Marina

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.