What are my choices for learning boat design on-line?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Thomas Kam, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Thomas Kam

Thomas Kam New Member

Dear all,

Just so happened that I am very interested in learning power boat design. Is there anyone who can give me some pointers?

Thank you very much.

2. Moose Island Design

Moose Island Design Yacht Designer

Thomas -
    I don't know of any internet courses in boat design, but there are 2 schools that teach yacht design through distance learning. "Yacht Design School" here in Eastport Maine, and "Westlawn" in (Maryland?). Both of their web sites have lots of information.
    Mike

3. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I have asked them all, I have yet to find a course on Planing hulls you have to learn displacement hulls before you learn planing. I really have no interest in sail boats ( nothing personal guys) but you are forced to learn it but in fact it's where it all started. i just have read books upon books, and it's even harder to get some one to explain. If you fond some one who does PLEASE inform me and thank you.

4. Greasy

Greasy Junior Member

yeah lol, if someone wanted to write a book on how to build a boat from start to finish that WASNT A SAIL BOAT they could make some money. :) hint hint.

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I was wondering which is better to understand and easier to absorb? YDS or Westlawn?

I have my own business but wanna upgrade myself...... and design........ so gonna do some internet serious study..... pls advise.

Wellydeckhand

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

1 person likes this.
  7. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Do you know of any recently published books, both those are 30 years old.

8. SailDesign

No. But then again, have boats changed the way they plane since then? :)
    Steve

9. antonfourie

Good point, although there are some new concepts that would be good to learn, like air entrapment hulls, surface piercing hulls and newer propulsion like surface drives and waterjets.

10. SailDesign

Anton,
    (and I'm only saying this because I don't know of any newer books, but...) Why not learn the basics (old stuff) while you search for the new stuff?
    Steve

11. antonfourie

That is my problem I am trying to find the new stuff, so any leads would be much appreciated.

12. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I went to Amazon, searched on boat design and had 24 hits. Most don't deal with planing hulls but there are several in there that do. The Pater Du Cane book is so good someone stole my copy. Another good one from the past is Lindsay Lord's Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls. The only place you will find these books though is a used book store, or maybe someone might be selling them on-line.

One of the leading researchers on planing hull design is Dan Savitsky. He worked for many years at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken NJ, I haven't talked to him since the mid 90's but last I heard he was retired, but still had an office there as Professor Emiritus. He wrote a lot of papers on planing hulls and developed a lot of the formulas that are used to day to calculate power and resistance. Anyway, if you could get int touch with him through Stevens Inst. He might know some resources for you. He presented a paper on planing hulls at the NY chapter of SNAME in March, so I know he's still going strong.

Another person who has done a lot of research on Planing Hull design is Dudley Dawson. No! Not the rock group! He writes for several boating magazines. Professional Boat Builder (www.proboat.com) and Yachting come to mind. You might be able to contact him through Proboat.

Pick their brains. You will probably find what your looking for. Say Hi to Dan for me.

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Oh yeah. Let me know what they say. Post it here or send me and e-mail at spinners1@aol.com Thanks

14. SailDesign

Try calling ther folks at, f'r'instance, OuterLimits.

Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats
    91 Broad Common Road
    Bristol, RI 02809

Phone: 401-253-7300
    Fax: 401-253-3688

See who designs their hulls, and then get in touch. A lot of designers are willing to share the theories, even if the fine tuning remains their secret.,
    Steve

15. antonfourie

Thanks guys I will let you know how I get on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.