Webb

Discussion in 'Education' started by guest, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Yes, women to go to Webb, and the ratio of women to men is small, but you may not be the only one, so you'll have some company. Mostly, naval architect students are pretty geeky (I know I was at Michigan) and so they have that common thread that transcends all else. That is to say, they are pretty committed to their studies and so are almost always pretty serioius students.

Eric

2. Webb '80

Michelle:

Let me suggest that you call Erica Hansen at Webb. She was class of '81 just behind me, and is now an instructor (and director of IT, If I understand her responsibilities corectly). Just call the main number and ask for her. I'm sure she'll be happy to chat with her. (Tell her I suggested that you call.)

Erica's older sister Karen was Webb's first woman graduate in 1978. By-and-large the women do quite well at Webb. It is a close-knit group and, at least "back in the day", they were treated little differently from the men, with the obvious exception that they had their own residence building. (They were subject to all of the juvenile pranks that we were.) In short, I think no one associated with Webb really considers if women will fit in anymore - which is just as it should be.

Don MacPherson, Webb '80

3. chell1867

chell1867 Junior Member

Thanks!
    -michelle

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Jehardiman;

I don't know if you still are there, or if Dave Mancebo is still around, but give him my best and let him know about old MGA people; Hubert is still around, but my father Jack passed away in April; he was always impressed with Dave, and spoke of him often. Louis is back in PSNS working with MSC.

Best to all up in the upper left hand corner.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.