Want to design yachts? The future designer

Discussion in 'Education' started by sele, Aug 4, 2011.

1. yipster

yipster designer

interesting conversation i've been following here and what a girl, whish i was 14 again :p

2. sele

sele High School Student

Thanks a lot, Mr. Sponberg you really helped me for my education and I made a big decision for my future(first an engineer than a designer).I graduated from 9th grade of a strict school(hard lessons), this year I'm going to be at 10th grade and this year all 9th grades made a decision for their education science or literature : as I want to be an engineer I decided on science and in my school we study maths and science in French from 9 th grade until the end of school and this year I came first in school and they told me I could study on maths and science like engineering or medical but I'm really passioned about sea and yachts they are like my dream because since my childhood I live in an environment like this I'm used to the sea,boats,boat shows and I know about the market.There is a very important question:
    - Is this a good education choice for me?

What do you say?Your opinions are really important for me.

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Go with your heart, Sele, and I think you know where your heart is.

Naval architecture, in general, and in my experience, has not necessarily suffered the ups and downs of the markets the way some professions and economies have. People always have to make a living on the sea--it covers three quarters of our planet after all, you can't get away from it--and there just aren't a whole lot of naval architects around to do the necessary work. It's a pretty unique profession.

The yacht market is a different story--it has suffered the ups and downs, worse than other markets and the economies, and this is because people don't NEED yachts. In recessionary times, yachts are the first thing to go, and the last thing to recover.

However, if you are a degreed naval architect, you have the engineering skills to take you into any part of the boating and shipping markets, you will almost always find work. But if you are just a designer, specializing only in yacths and recreational boats, then your chances for employment are more risky. Of course, a lot depends on your own attitude, artistic talent, and degree of flexibility--a good designer of yachts can design lots of different things other than yachts.

You can analyze this to death, almost to the point of meaninglessness. That's why I say, go with your heart. I don't think you'll have any trouble; you seem like a very intelligent person with a passion--that's what it takes--intelligence and passion.

Good luck, I am sure you will do well.

Eric

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Agree 100% with Eric's advice.

Good luck Sele

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

6. DMacPherson

DMacPherson Senior Member

I just stumbled into this thread, and wanted to be another cheerleader for Sele. My own daughter is a university senior in mechanical engineering. She has always been the "builder" on her project teams. Not particularly gifted in mathematics or programming, she has an unusually good sense of how objects work and fit together. She has developed very good CAD skills, and currently works as a student engineer on satellites for NASA. She is still very much a girl (we have the boxes of boy band posters to prove it), but this has never been an obstacle.

Let me also reiterate one of the earlier recommendations (from Leo, I think). Learn to sketch. Not on computer, but by hand. And build things. And take things apart. Lots of things.

Good luck,

Don MacPherson

7. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

8. sele

sele High School Student

Thank you all for your helpful advices.
    Thanks to you, now I have some ideas about my education:I think I have to have a good based education like a degree in naval architecture and than I can specialize on design )

9. sele

sele High School Student

I have a new question:
    I researched a university :MIT for naval architecture.There are departments and you can find ocean science and engineering in the mechanical engineering department.Here are some links :
    http://oe.mit.edu/
    http://engineering.mit.edu/research/departments/meche.php
    -Here is the problem, what's the difference between ocean science and engineering and naval architecture,if I go to that collage can I become a naval architect?
    There were posts about it but I'm confused so your suggestions would be very helpful.

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ocean engineering covers many different aspects of engineering related to the objects in the ocean including oil and gas platforms, pipelines, piers, buoys as well as ships. The naval architecture department at MIT become the Ocean Engineering Department a long time ago. More recently the department became smaller, and in 2004 it bacame part of the Mechanical Engineering Department. MIT has a very good reputation and is well known internationally. In the past it was an excellent place to study naval architecture. Today though there may be better choices. You may want to investigate the University of Michigan and the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Department there. It is the largest naval architecture department in the US. http://name.engin.umich.edu/

11. Alik

Alik Senior Member

I might be wrong, but NA courses in US are less related to boats and yachts, compared to the ones in Europe.

Knowledge of CE regulations is important for European boatbuilding market, and education in US does not give that. There are NA courses oriented towards small craft design in Europe, better to consider those.

12. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

13. sele

sele High School Student

Well there are many choices for collage and future and thanks for those collages. Maybe Webb can be an option but I think there are some other actions that can be taken now ,what I want to say is: There's an international high school robot competition called FIRST there are teams around the world and each team has to build their own robot and to be the winner those robots has to complete some tasks.I have the opportunity to join the FIRST team in my school ,they say that it gives an engineering experience and you can get a Scholarship for universities in America.It's a robot competition it has no relation with boat design or boat building but as I want to be a naval engineer can it be helpful for me and my engineering skills,what is your opinion?
    I really need your advise because it's a complicated program .
    Here's the link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIRST_Robotics_Competition

http://www.usfirst.org/

14. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

what sort of boats do you want to design

15. sele

sele High School Student

I want to be a naval architect so I want to know the structure of all marine vehicles.Maybe I can specialize on design of yachts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.