Want to design yachts? The future designer

Discussion in 'Education' started by sele, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Alik, I, too, take respectful exception to your comments--I think they are too broad a generalization. I have personally known two women who not only are exceptional "hands dirty" boat builders, but they run their own successful boat building businesses. Many women run boatbuilding companies here in the US, (I know of two others as I write this who are well known and well respected) and I dare say elsewhere in the world, and the ones I know are very capable technically and business wise. I think Sele will be able to judge for herself how far she wants to go with respect to art and engineering--who knows, she may become excellent at both.

Eric

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

You do not understand my point, Eric. I am not saying that women are not capable, I just like them more feminine and doing corresponding activity. Remember classic saying about dancing women, running horse and boat sailing; there is no word about women working on boat like a horse :p

You live in the world where emancipation is part of society; good or not is not the point to discuss here. Consider that TS is from Muslim country where man is allowed to have 3 wives... cultural difference.

3. Eric Sponberg

Alik, I think I understand you perfectly. Emancipation is exactly the point, and your idea of emancipation is exactly NOT--"I just like them more feminine and doing corresponding activity."

I'm sorry, but you have just dug yourself into a hole and there is no way out--stop digging!

In my humble opinion, America, for all its faults, is still the most emancipated country in the world and the rest of the world looks to America for guidance in social justice. The job isn't done, but my little part of it is this: Sele, you just go become the best naval architect that you can possibly be. Don't let anyone tell you No, you can't do that because you are a girl. You can do anything if you put your mind and effort to it! GO FOR IT!

Eric

2 people like this.
  4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Hmm, typical American point of view... But in reality the World is of different colours.

Of my classmates graduated same year there were about 1/3 of girs if total 60 graduates. After 15 years, I know only one girl still working as naval architect in design office. Others work somewhere else and majority never worked as naval architects. I know that one of girls worked at shipyard and fall down in the hatch, after she quit her job and is working at university library. This is reality, whatever one call it 'sexist' or in politically correct words.

Career can be important for women but please remember that there is one important destiny provided by the nature - bring healthy kids. In this respect, health protection of future mothers is more important than distorted emancipation ideas. Work at shipyard is important stage for NA but not healthy at all.

OK, I won't discuss this issue further, I believe TS has got all information to decide. Wherever she goes to NA degree or Marine design degree, or fall in love being 18 years old and give up with career - we just wish her good luck.

5. sele

sele High School Student

First of all men is strictly not allowed to have 3 wifes in my country.I think you have some very wrong and unreal informations about my country,which is very unlikely.Lots of people have wrong informations about Turkey's cultural environment that's because you have wrong opinions.
    And about the cultural difference: Thanks to my cultural environment I can easily live and study in an other country because my current education taught me those too.
    I think it's not a problem for me to climb into FRP hull ,be used to that noisy and dirty environment;I want to spend many hours in workshop/yard and sometimes on sea trials in rough/hot/humid conditions and work in the office as an engineer.Because I'm used to this.I do those things .

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

So good luck! Look at this as option.
    About 3 wives: this is information directly from Turks.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3931164,00.html

7. sele

sele High School Student

I think you should check out the laws and right informations to have right opinions.
    I just want to say that your opinions are not futuristic and they are not full of hope.I think that opinion can be wrong and dangerous for woman's future but of course you can think that it's a heavy work for girls but if you generalize it that would be like an insult and I feel insulted like I'm not able to do the job that I want .There are a lot of people who thinks like this and I respect all opinions but I don't agree with them.But it's necessary to know other opinions because it's an experience.

And Mr. Sponberg : I agree with all of your opinions and I think you are right you gave some really important advices.Thanks a lot.

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

sele, with all respect I am sharing my experience. There might be different experiences, and am not saying that mine is the only one possible. Pls look at link I gave in previous post, I have visited that school and believe that kind of education is good option as they give basics of naval architecture plus strong creative component. In practice, many young people dream of becoming yacht designers but end up drawing oil tankers or furniture.This is matter of passion, effort and luck. By having proper degree one can always adjust his/her career to desired direction.

9. Eric Sponberg

You are welcome! Good luck on your career.

Eric

10. sele

sele High School Student

A new question (very important)!

Which language is the best to be a naval engineer/ naval architect and yacht designer?Which language is more advantageous for yacht market?

11. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

English, Fortran and C/C++ :)

12. Alik

Alik Senior Member

And Chinese. In next years most of yacht construction will be there.

13. Eric Sponberg

I would say English to begin. Most of the yacht market worldwide is run in English--customers, designers, builders, and magazines/internet marketing/reviews all use it. Another language is always helpful. In the round-the-world sailboat racing arena, French would be very desirable. After that, take your pick.

Eric

14. sele

sele High School Student

I know French and English and I'm going to start learning Italian, so is it useful to learn Italian?

15. Eric Sponberg

Whatever you have intellectual capacity for, sure. Many yachts are built in Italy (probably the most, length and tonnage wise), so being able to converse with builders, clients and customers in Italian would be a plus. I think you probably have the language issue solved--not really a problem for you. Your written English is quite fine. So you should be sure to keep up your grades in math and science, because most of your naval architecture training, work, and decisions will involve these disciplines.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.