University degrees

Discussion in 'Education' started by monrosm@shrewsb, Mar 15, 2008.

1. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Hi,
    I am currently in my final year at School and am soon to move onto university where i want to study something to do with the aspect of designing boats. However i am in a bit of a dilema as to where to go, I have got offers from both Southamoton Solent and also Coventry, Southampton is a BENG degree (Yacht and powercraft design), and coventry is MENG (Boat Design). Which is the best option....I mean i really like Coventry university and hear its very good for design, but which degree would be most employable?
    Thankyou
    Stefan Monro

2. masalai

masalai masalai

I would come back with; - - that which is your passionate interest. That will keep you seeking EXCELLENCE, which results in employability...

3. UK Nav Arc

UK Nav Arc Junior Member

Hi,

It all depends on what you want to do. Coventry is actually a MDes, not an MEng, whilst Solent is a BEng. As far as I know, Coventry is more of the "art" side of design, whilst Solent is the "maths" side of design.

Personally, I'd go to Solent, as it'll give you a good grounding in all the areas of design and engineering, and a 3 year BEng is much cheaper than a 4 year Masters! Have you visited them both yet? A good start in making your mind up is to talk to the lecturers and final year students.

Hope this helps!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.