Thesis topics

Discussion in 'Education' started by lavz, Sep 25, 2009.

1. lavz

lavz New Member

Hi all,

I am entering into my final year of a Naval Architecture degree and so deciding upon a thesis topic is looming over me.

I am currently searching for ideas, topics and areas of interest for inspiration for my thesis.

Any suggestions are welcome, I'm open to anything, particularly topics that are quite young in the industry and attractive to prospective employers.

A few ideas I have so far are:

• Sound suppression
    • Wash
    • Stability (applicability / improve method)
    • Various FEA / CFD topics

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Choose something you have an interest in....otherwise you wont enjoy it and that shall be reflected in your thesis.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Very true. If you don't have a personal interest in your thesis, it will just become this loathsome monster you begin to hate swallowing all your time.

4. lavz

lavz New Member

Yep I totally agree guys, and that's the reason I'm searching for other ideas because the current list given to us by the uni is very limited and no topics really grab me unfortunately! :confused:

Just trying to see if there are some ideas out there that are quite modern and cutting edge that will keep me interested and be a "usefull" thesis rather than just doing a thesis for the sake of it.

Cheers.

Ant

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Ant

well, start by asking yourself, what interest do you ahve or are good at. Do you like hydrodynamics or structures or mechanical etc etc. Start by listing which subjects or topics you enjoy at uni (it may be a short or long list). Once you have that, then it becomes a bit easier, as there is then something to aim at and focus your attention. Since all you must do in your thesis is to demonstrate you know how to use and apply the theory. Ergo, find something that you are good at or interests you..

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Ocean renewable energy has a lot of appeal these days, and there are a lot of possibilities in wave energy conversion, floating wind turbines, etc.

1 person likes this.
  7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

A renewable steel, ocean going, acousticly quiet, wave powered, plastics recycling ship with a debris skimming feed system, environmental monitoring lab, and eco-cruise accomidations...that just about gets all the bases covered...you heard about it here first....;).

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ask yourself. What put you on the track of Naval Architecture? The inspiration then could guide you again.

9. buoywonder

buoywonder New Member

Lavz, so you must be well into it by now.. What did you choose in the end?