Self taught or not?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Hampus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Personally, of the careers I've had, working in the shipyards/drydocks was one of the most enjoyable, despite the havoc it wreaks on the body. To each, his/her own, I guess.

2. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Winter certainly is a season to bring out the crankiness in people. I have fond memories of the shipyards. I learned a lot there as a kid.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are going sailing for a year and have no time? Doesn´t seem to make sense. Take the books with you and connect online when you can. There is a lot of reading time onboard.

4. Hampus

Hampus Junior Member

Hehe, Funny, isn't it? I'm not going alone though. My girlfrien, soon to be wife is going too and it's something we're doing together, which means that I don't want to leave her on her own while I pour over books. Still, there's a lot of time at sea and time otherwise dedicated to reading so I think it'll be doable. Biggest concern is the already stretched cruising kitty :)

Thanks to all for (mostly) good and sound advice. I too think that some kind of formal and structured education is the way to go. I'm looking at Westlawn and if I got it right, there's no time limit there either. I will however read what I can and try some things on my own first, I don't want to find out half way down the track and several 1000 $ lighter that it's not for me. I do have a high school degree in CAD/CAM, programming and engneering, even if it was a long time ago. I've also been sitting on a bunch of "Yacht Design books" for several years, so it's not a new idea, and I have a fair idea of what I'm getting myself into :)

To SH: I think I was referred to as a "kid", which unfortunately, I'm not anymore, I'll turn 30 in a month and a half. I once opted out a college degree in engineering and knowing what I know now, I'd do it again. I've spent the past 10 years working with marine electronics, several of those years I spent running around shipyards all over Europe and I know now that I'm done with it. That's why we're selling up, packing up and in 6 months will be heading for the sunset.

There is however, a coming back and there will be a new life, new bills to be payed and possibly a family to provide for, spending 6 years in school is not an option. It's an excellent oppertunity though, to start fresh and start doing what I want to do. Life's too short to be spent wishing for something else and there's no redoing it. Once it's over, it's over. I'm glad that you are happy with the choices you made but we're all different and that is not for me. Thank you for spending time on replying though.

/Hampus

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. Hampus

Hampus Junior Member

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards YDS myself, also starting with the CAD course. Have you started yet? How do you find it?

/Hampus

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You'll find that your girlfriend will thank you for taking time to read. If she becomes one of your appendages, she'll probably change boats sooner or later.

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hampus,

Big responsibility you are putting yourself up to. Good luck with the studies. Failure is never an option.

Good luck with the wife too.

8. Hampus

Hampus Junior Member

Thank you :)

Fear of failure is a lame excuse for not doing it ;)

/Hampus

9. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

As my proffesion as a shipbuilder I have learned everything at the shipyard!

For my hobby to design and develope smaller boats I am totaly self learned except for this forum though. Hahaha

Actually I have gained very very much knowledge from here.
    Thanks to these guys here never ends up with showing anoying much of knowledge. :p

Also my wife does sometimes drag me from here to do something in real life.
    Sometimes it is needed.

10. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Hampus,
    I signed up for the program several months ago, but life does get in the way, so I started working through the Rhino tutorials on New Year's day. I used to mess around with the older demo version of Rhino, so I find the tutorials easy, yet, time consuming. Still, I believe that the greatest possibility of success will come through "going by the numbers", rather than skipping ahead. I've read some of the required/recommended design books and have come to the realization that many of my earlier designs would need a serious work-through, before being considered useable. Very humbling. YDS does have an instructor dedicated to the CAD program, whom students can contact for assistance. As well, I asked Tom MacNaughton a question regarding one aspect of design and, instead of receiving a response of a few sentences - as expected - I received about 9 or 10 pages on the topic, so there is a lot of support for the student, when required.

Understand, I'm not trying to sell you on one school over another, I'm sure that they are all good schools to learn from. I chose YDS because it allows me time flexibility , the course price is competitive and there are components in the design course that I have not found elsewhere.

I think that it's great that you are going to see the world with the love of your life! Still, there will be times when each of you will need a little breathing room & reading a text is not much different to reading a novel. As well, perhaps your girlfriend has, or develops, an interest in yacht design. Maybe, you'll become a design team!
    Regardless, best of luck with your journey, both on the sea & in life! I travelled in my late twenties and met my wife while doing so. I can't think of a better time for you both to experience exotic lands & cultures. Best of luck!
    Mike

11. Hotfuzz

Hotfuzz New Member

Umm, yeah, that is one perspective. Get lots of papers to line your walls, and acronyms to stick behind your name. If nobody else is impressed, at least your grandmother will be. She probably won't be hiring you though, and most of your university chaps won't understand how to get away from working some crappy job in a cubicle land, letting their butts get big and minds small. After 10 years in some "professional" career they realize they really don't know as much as they thought they did when they were sent out from school to take over the world, and feel lost. What to do after that? Maybe have kids, buy a junky sailboat, or hang out on forums bashing people, has to be something to life.

Or, you could prove it to people in what you can actually do, whatever the means. Most important thing though is the attitude, some of the worlds most talented people can't get over thier own big attitudes, and it is a real shame because it hinders any chance of success or hapiness they might have.

Pick some reasonable road to travel, whatever is in your reach, some sort of education would be a big headstart for sure but don't think it is everything. Get some experience, have an open attitude and a willingness to work, and you will find a way and probably some great people along the way. Have fun.

12. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

I Am A 'schlep'...

Hello...
    I have no real issues with being a 'Schlep'...
    I am the blue one to the left with the kangaroo eye...
    Bulbous bow fit on first cut...
    Not sure why everyone got all knee jerky...

SH.

Attached Files:

13. Hotfuzz

Hotfuzz New Member

Why Schlep?

Sean,
    I would take offense to being called a "Schlep", no matter what my trade/profession is. I am sure you are a capable person, but you seem to have a real knack for pissing people off to the point they won't listen to a thing you say if it is meaningful or jsut rubbish. Terribly effective.
    Nice pipe you have sticking out of that tub, you should look happier for a guy that is doing so well.

14. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Usually when you hit a piling it is standing vertically. :)

15. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

That is the 2nd biggest bong I have ever seen.