Schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by DakotaH., Oct 12, 2013.

1. DakotaH.

DakotaH. Junior Member

Thats the part I'm worried about getting in I know I can maintain my grades and focus on school once I'm there but the part I'm freaking out about is getting accepted.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

There is never a sure thing. Learning to stand up and carry on to your goal after having the rug pulled out from under you is what growing up and becoming responsible and productive is all about. After getting over the "freaking" worry part I had my right leg shattered in my sophomore year at Webb down on the third terrace playing "touch" football. Four years, 5 surgeries, and 28 months in a leg cast later, I graduated from UofM. Not optimum, but I didn't loose the leg (a possibility), I don't walk with a limp anymore (or have an addiction to Darvon), have my PE, set a Guinness record for a human powered submarine, and married a beautiful woman and had healthy sons.

The starting goal is not the end, it is a target. So like archery or epee, aim high or you will always miss low.

3. DakotaH.

DakotaH. Junior Member

I'm no stranger to adversity but IMO the best way for me to succeed is by getting into Webb.

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Right now job prospects are good, though most jobs are in Houston, other parts of the Gulf, Washington DC or Norfolk VA. Pay now is at the high end of engineering starting pay, though this is not typical - over the years NAME has traditionally been on the low end. However, this is for commercial/military, not yachts. Yachts are much worse in terms of jobs and pay. In the long run, most engineering professions tend toward a lifetime average pay in the mid-80's (adjusted for inflation) with some fluctuations from discipline to discipline and NAME has been bouncing around in that range as well. You can look at the jobs board at SNAME for a better idea.

Note also that a lot of NAs go into something other than engineering after a while; ship or cargo brokering, admiralty law (mostly at Tulane), operations at a steamship company, equipment sales, and often non-marine engineering jobs...

Another point worth noting is that with an engineering degree you can find a seagoing engine room berth (usually on an OSV or RV or some other small ship) and then sit a marine engineering license much more rapidly than just going up the hawsepipe. It may be worth it to go to sea for a short while and get some commercial sea time before going into an office. This is one of the advantages of Webb - they will get you a cadet seagoing berth for one winter.

You can also go OCS into the Navy or the Coast Guard with an engineering degree - one of my friends here is a Webbie who did 20 in the Coast Guard and retired as a commander, but I know a lot more who did three or four active and then reserves. This might be another interesting career path.

Note that CG Academy entrance is not by Congressional appointment, but through the same process as most colleges (different than the other service academies).

Research all of this widely, there are a lot of opportunities and a lot of decisions.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

:):):):):):):):)

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

A lot of naval architects, at least in the high speed craft sector and in the Navy sector, come from Virginia Polytech. They have a combined aero / ocean major: http://www.aoe.vt.edu/

7. DakotaH.

DakotaH. Junior Member

She has not responded in over ten days. Any thoughts on what I should do to earn this scholarship?

8. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

SNAME is moving it's HQ and setting up for the annual meeting which starts tomorrow. They are pretty busy, and are not doing much else just now.

9. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.