Principles of Naval Architecture

Discussion in 'Education' started by ctosuner, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Hi all,

I am a naval architect and would like improve myself about yacht design. In order to reach my aim I may enroll to the course such as Westlawn in the near future. But for now I am looking forward to having some publications about that subject. First I thought Principles of Naval Architecture(PNA) of SNAME would benefit me all about naval construction principles including small crafts and took it from a library and found it too complex and almost only for commercial ships. What do you guys think about it?

My aim is to combine my naval architecture fundemental (my theorical knowledge is not so deep) with yacht design principles. That's why I've dissapointed about PNA. I am currently working in a boatyard that fiberglass boats are produced, so I have practical experience instead of theorical. I am looking for some books for my aim. And also do you recommend Westlawn someone like me? I need to be able to design yachts professionally from preliminary to the systems with all the engineering calculations. So what is your advice?

Thanks for instance for your replies.

2. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Send a boat designed by you..only to have an idea...

3. Patrick BLOSSE

Patrick BLOSSE La Terre entière.

Overlook on yacht design

Hello,

For a quick glance at that so fine art, I must bear witness to a remarquable comprehensive work: "Principles of Yacht Design", from L.LARSSON & R.E.ELIASSON (Ed. Adlard Coles Nautical, London); taking thread from a 40 footer overall design from the architect point of view.

Kindly.

Patrick, from Paris, France

4. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Thanks Patrick for your recommendation, I was also considering that book. But if it is only from an architect point of view, it may not be technical enough?

Ranchi, as I understood you are curious about one boat designed by me, but I have no design experience at all, that's why I need advise to be able to get that qualification. I am working as a boatbuilder in the field of the boatyard. I've read before that you're an Westlawn alumni. I would like to hear your experiences about Westlawn.

5. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

I can certainly recommend the book mentioned by Patrick – very informative and as technical as a naval architect would appreciate!
    Another “standard” book (although slightly dated) is Elements of Yacht Design (Seafarer Books) by Norman Locke Skene. I’m sure a search on Amazon will turn up both these titles. Good luck!

6. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

ctosuner,

I have carried out the Westlawn in 2 years studying and working in Geneva.

My experience was very positive and today I can only say...thanks to this School. I'm very proud of my diploma...invest in your talent and became a student of this school.

Good luck

Otto

7. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Thanks Trevlyns and Otto for sharing your ideas and experiences.

Good luck

8. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

By the way, I am also curious that if the education of Westlawn and the books such as "Principles of Yacht Design" include the methods and the calculations of strength, as the most important part of the design. Because I couldn't find Strength topic in Westlawn Modules. Determining the strength elements (transverses and longitudinals) and lamination plan is so important, I am like sure those include them but in any case I need you to verify this information if possible.

Thanks in advance..

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

For most boat you will use some relevant scantling rules to determine dimensions, hull thickness etc. ABS or DNV for example.

10. harhhnt

harhhnt Junior Member

The Book

Skeins elements of yacht design, it is out of print, if you can find it.
    If you find it I would like to get a copy, mine was borrowed you know how that goes. Harry Hunt

11. Patrick BLOSSE

Patrick BLOSSE La Terre entière.

TURNER's method analysis

Hello,

An ancient method used for designing a well balanced hull under sail was famously proposed by Admiral TURNER.

I am looking for a comprehensive discussion about that method, especially from it's hydrodynamical point of view.

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

12. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

T Harrison Butler was an advocate of Turner's methods and their use in yacht design.

His book "Cruising Yachts - Design and Performance" was reprinted with a preface by Ian Howlett in 1995. This fourth edition was published by Excellent Press, ISBN 0 8548 7397 0

13. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Harry, I don't understand why you couldn't find Elements of Yacht Design of Skene. It is easy to find via Amazon (Seafarer Books). Isn't it what you are looking for?

14. harhhnt

harhhnt Junior Member

Havn't looked. Thanks for the direction. Just wanted to give you the title in case you were not aware of this book.

15. ctosuner

ctosuner New Member

Thanks Harry, I hope it is what you are looking for...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.