Preparatory study *before* schooling?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Keycube, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Keycube

Keycube Junior Member

After perusing the many threads on the subject, looks like the YDS course will be for me (next year, after I fry some more important financial fish). So, I ask you all this: Are there some preparatory books I should check out before I take the course, so I am well-versed in some of the terminology and concepts *before* I even take the course. I have a real aversion to unpreparedness. :-(

Thanks!

Robert

2. edneu

edneu Junior Member

I would definately develop some skill in manual drafting, maybe even taking a mechanical drawing course. This is a very valuable skill, which will prepare you even if you plan to use computer aided design. I don't know much about YDS but in Westlawn's program being competent at sketching and drawing would be a tremendous asset.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

If you do decide on YDS, I would contact Mcnaughton and ask him t=for the list of books associated with each lesson. I believe he relies heavily on reading outside of the text and each lesson contains a must read list.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.