Need Help getting into Naval Architecture with Small Craft Engineering

Discussion in 'Education' started by TAL90, Jan 13, 2009.

1. TAL90

TAL90 New Member

I'm now 24 and have been studying psychology for the last four years. I was struggling academically which resulted in my withdrawal from the courseI am now looking to pursue a course in Naval Architecture with Small Craft Engineering. Its quite a change, but not one which I have decided on a whim, I've had a passion/interest for sailing and power yachts since I was a child.

I’ve been researching the course and the closest provider to where I live is Glasgow University, however the Entry requirements are BBBB/ABBC including Maths at B and Physics. Now I don’t think I’m going to have a problem getting in other than the fact that I have never studied Physics.

Will I have to complete a university course in Physics or can I pursue another avenue to achieve this qualification?

I would also be keen to make a few friends who are currently or have previously studied the naval course for help/advice and general chitchat etc.

TAL

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Try Newcastle Uni, they may be a bit more relaxed on this score.

It just depends on your science background really...as you need it. If you're good at maths and have an understanding of mechanics, you'll be ok.

3. Nemo_01

Nemo_01 New Member

TAL

I'm currently doing the small craft course at Strathclyde and the best piece of advice I can give you is contact the department and talk to them!

I know of a couple of people who joined up a while ago with no physics bacground and they have had to work hard but they are still here. Although you would probably have to start in 1st year.

Good luck
    Nemo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.