Naval Architecture In Japan?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Pochi, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Pochi

Pochi New Member

Greetings!

I was wondering if there's any universities in japan that rewards a "BDes" in that major?

Because I searched and couldn't find any that rewards a BDes and all I found are BEng.

I am good at drawning and building but bad at science courses and for that BDes is more to my liking, interests and skills than a BEng.

Also it must be in Japan only since I am on a scholarship from my government.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

There are several, i would say the better one being Osaka University.
    http://www.naoe.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/eng/
    There is another called Osaka Prefecture University, which is ok too. And of course several other such as in Tokyo and Hiroshima etc.

3. Pochi

Pochi New Member

I've noticed that the one you linked to me for Osaka University is only for Master and Doctor's degrees, same with Tokyo University. Osaka Perfecture is undergraduate course that focuses in Engineering subjects, the one in Hiroshima is general subjects in transportation and I couldn't find a specialized Major in Naval Architecture.

While I am looking for undergraduate/bachelor degree major in Boat/Yacht Design or Naval Architecture that has more focus on the Design part rather than the Scientific part (A BDes not BEng or BSc).

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You will not find a yacht/boat design course in Japan.

All the universities teach Naval architecture/Engineering only... All big ships stuff.

If you want small craft and emphasis on design elements, try Southampton university or Southampton Solent university.

5. Pochi

Pochi New Member

Between the Japanese universities that you mentioned +Kyushu university program, from your experience, which has more practical work with ships than theoretical work about ships?

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

None, they are all theory based degrees.

Despite the huge shipbuilding industry in Japan, there is almost no link up with industry. I arranged to take final year students from the MSc degree to the Techno-Super liner, to show them what real structure and boats look like.

At the train station, where we gathered, only the Professor arrived. I asked where are the other students, the reply was:

1) Japanese students don't have any spare time for such visits;
    2) Japanese Yards do not allow groups of students to visit as they cite "health and safety" concerns.

Thus they focus on theory, as they can control this part of the curriculum.

I had a great time looking at the 140m SES boat.

7. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

That's going to be a real fuel burner if they get up to 75knots or thereabouts!
    Did they reveal the likely top speed?
    (I'm very interested in this because I am working towards releasing "Flotilla for SES" here soon.)

Leo.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

It was circa 40knots

9. Pochi

Pochi New Member

Bah, that means that their Naval Architecture program is more for researchers than technicians or engineers.

And the biggest problem is that their theory that are taught in the university won't have any impact on the Naval Architecture graduates when they start working in this area as technicians or engineers.

Also they have such strange rules for such "health and safety". *sigh*

But anyways thanks for the extended information, cheers! :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.