Mechanical Engineer interested in Boat Design

Discussion in 'Education' started by rg171352, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rg171352

rg171352 New Member

Hi

I am a senior mechanical engineering student trying to figure out where to go after graduation. I have always been interested in power boats and have been considering the field. My school offered a very vague curriculum which is fortunately very adaptable to future endeavors. My interests primarily lie in powerboat/speed boat design. What route would I need to persue to enter this field? I have taken fluid-mechanics, but neglected to take the aerodynamics course as it didn't fit in my schedule.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

if I were in your shoes, I would give boats a big fat miss and enter the field of mining in Australia You could then study yacht design on the side whilst having a real job(just joking)
    www.seek .com.au
    or careers at bhp billiton

3. limeyus

limeyus Junior Member

Take anything related to structures and materials, also CAD experience will help. Any project based classes, where you can work with a small group developing a 'real' product (not a process improvement) will also help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.