Master's degree in Naval Architecture

Discussion in 'Education' started by v-p-k, Aug 6, 2008.

1. v-p-k

v-p-k Junior Member

Hi Everyone :) !

I got My BEng Degree in Boat Manufacturing last spring and I would be interested to continue my studies if I find a cheap Master Degree in Naval Architecture.

I heard there are these english two year Master Degrees in Chalmers,DTU and Delf.

Is there some other options I should consider?

Thanks

VPK

2. Jarppi

Jarppi New Member

I'm almost in the same situation. Soon graduating and I guess same school that you did. I thought that at least Chalmers is free, am I wrong?
    But what about the list of universities that they qualify? At least my school isn't on that list, so I have to get some kind of authorization that my school is good enough.

3. v-p-k

v-p-k Junior Member

Hi/Terve Jarppi!

Last time I checked, Chalmers didn't have any fees, neither did DTU (Technical University of Denmark). If you are doing your Master in Delf, you have to pay (as EU/EFTA national born after August 31st 1978) 1,565€ per year. In these Universities it is possible to get your Master in two years and all the courses are taught in English.

Please correct me if someone has more accurate info.

Your school good enough? I don't know about that. I guess it depends on what kind of BEng Degree you have (example MECHANICAL ENGINEERING), your GPA, TOEFL test, CV and Essay about your motivation for the MSc-programme.

I would be happy to hear other options too...

Thanks

VPK

4. Jarppi

Jarppi New Member

Have you visited http://www.studera.nu? It's the place where you can apply to universities in sweden. If you check requirements for master level, it says:

A Bachelor's degree (equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen/ 180 HE credits) from an internationally recognised university. The university has to be listed in the latest edition of the International Handbook of Universities.
    http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/list.html

And my school isn't on that list. I'm from Turku university of applied sciences(TurkuAMK).

5. v-p-k

v-p-k Junior Member

Yes, been there. I actually have user account too.

I have one friend who got her Bachelor's degree from University of Applied Sciences (Keski-Pohjanmaan AMK) and she was accepted into a Master program in Sweden. So I don't think it is a problem if your university is not on that list, neither is mine. Anyway, she used studera.nu to get into the program and apparently that is the only way to do it.

6. omar0212002

omar0212002 New Member

Dear Members,
    I am new in boat design forum and right now i am in an unfortunate situation. Anyway I would like to know the universities where i can complete masters degree with schollarship or free. please send me something with witch i may go on.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Write to companies asking for funding..and during 'holiday' times you work for them and then become employed by them afterwards....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.