Malaysian needing advice

Discussion in 'Education' started by Ryan Miri Magic, Oct 4, 2008.

1. MF2

MF2 New Member

I'm unikl mimet student,sem 1 ..danial can i know u?

2. danial

danial Junior Member

yes

i will be your super senior next sem... i am a screw up in maths.. hehe.. if you're taking math 2 next sem, i may be in ur class

3. HOOKED.UP

HOOKED.UP New Member

http://www.amc.edu.au/

Hope this helps. Not cheap.

After nearly 40 years as a boat builder I am still not qualified.

But I would love to be able to afford one of the courses on offer.

Paul

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

After 40 years Im sure you may well have a thing or two to teach them.!!!
    Qulifications don't mean much if you keep making bad designs...

5. Mark Bowdidge

Mark Bowdidge Mark Bowdidge (ARINA)

Ryan,
    my advice is to do Westlawn. Being a graduate, I was immediatly snapped up by Tom Fexas Yacht Designs in the designing of Power boats ( luxury boat market) from 55ft and upwards. As far as RINA is concerned, yes they do accept and recoginize Westlawn. How do I know. Because I'm an Associate (ARINA).
    My daughter went to AMC do to her Nav Arch degree. She left and switched over to Ocean Engineering. Why? Your not taught to draw or actually design. Just engineer. After seeing what I was achieving with Westlawn, she was so fustrated, that she changed degrees.
    As far as 38 lessons are concerned, it takes approx 3-4 years to get through it.
    Hope this helps out
    Regards
    Mark Bowdidge (ARINA)

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh you mean Jahore? They antifoul bid stuff cheap.

There is the military yard at Lamut and thats about it.

Are you talking East Malaysia?

Yeah there is yards but they are fishing boat, railway line haul out stuff.

Theres one in Klang next to the yacht club.

They only build tugs N barges.

Ship yards or ship builders yards.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Mark

Yes, but being an AMRINA is very different different from being MRINA. It shows you have some understanding etc, but not enough to become a full member nor chartered. Not saying it is bad, just saying it is not "fully qualified"

Frosty
    Just like anywhere, depend son the type of vessel you want and the quality. There are many shipyards, but if you want quality and small vessels for example...that is a different Q!

8. Mark Bowdidge

Ad Hoc,
    THere are many graduates of Westlawn who are members and Fellows. Dave Gerr for example, a graduate of Westlawn is a Fellow. Can I make member. Yes. That's happening here is that your basing your assumptions on guesswork, not facts.
    Mark

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Mark

Maybe you seem to be unaware of the route to be come ARINA and MRINA.

For your ARINA the requirements are thus:

Persons who are primarily concerned with the application of proven engineering techniques to the solution of practical problems in the fields of naval architecture and maritime technology may apply to be elected as an Associate (ARINA)

Education: A person applying for election the as an Associate will be required to have completed a minimum 2-year course of study leading to the award of a diploma or certificate. However, persons without the required full formal academic qualification may offer experience in lieu of academic qualification and apply for election through the Mature Candidate Route.
    Initial Professional Development (Training and Experience): Applicants should have four years' experience. Candidates will be required to submit a Professional Review Report, demonstrating that they have achieved the required level of professional competence, as defined for Members in the Professional Development Manual. Candidates offering experience in lieu of formal academic qualification and/or training will be required to submit an extended Professional Review Report, demonstrating that they have achieved the same level of professional competence

Whereas for MRINA

Persons who are primarily concerned with the progress of maritime technology through innovation, creativity and change, the development and use of new technologies, the use of advanced design and production methods, and the pioneering of new engineering services and management techniques in the field of naval architecture and maritime technology may apply be elected as a Member.

Education: A person applying for election as a Member will be required to have completed a minimum 4-year course of study leading to the award of a degree or diploma. However, persons without the required full formal academic qualification may offer experience in lieu of academic qualification and apply for election through the Mature Candidate Route.
    Initial Professional Development (Training and Experience): Applicants should have undergone a period of 2 years of approved training or a sufficient period of experience in lieu of training, and have had not less than 2 years' responsible experience. Candidates will be required to submit a Professional Review Report, demonstrating that they have achieved the required level of professional competence, as defined for Members in the Professional Development Manual. Candidates offering experience in lieu of formal academic qualification and/or training will be required to submit an extended Professional Review Report, demonstrating that they have achieved the same level of professional competence.

For either class of membership, experience in lieu of formal academic qualifications will suffice. However, the experience must be at the right level and responsibility. Being a draughtsman for example, for 30 years would not qualify for full membership. But as a 'Companion'.

for more details see:
    http://www.rina.org.uk/requirements.html

Those like D.Gerr (not heard of him?) you cite, must have been in a position of responisbility for a period of time that RINA felt suitable that was coupled with the diplomoa.

An ex-prof at my university had no formal qualifications but was a Fellow. Because he was one of the old "time-served" naval architects.

To become a full member with a correspondence course that is not a standrad Degree level, just take longer than otherwise...that is all.

10. Mark Bowdidge

ad hoc,
    You've just confirmed my point. Westlawn students CAN become MRINA or ARINA and even Fellow. The reason I jumped into this post was your arguement and I quote:
    "if the course is recognised to be a full member of RINA or SNAME and hence being a Chartered Engineering"
    So the anwer is yes.
    Am I aware of the process of becoming ARINA or MRINA?. If I was'nt aware, I wouldn't be ARINA, would I? On recieving my certification for ARINA, Trevor Blakley wrote in his letter to me, asking why I didn't apply for MRINA. I was qualifed enough. My response was that, I thought one had to work their way up the ladder. So, later this year, I'll re-apply for MRINA.
    So, to sum it all up.
    1/ Westlawn is recognised.
    2/ Graduates of Westlawn can work their way up through RINA, the same as Uni students do, to become MRINA and higher.
    3/ Westlawn is 4 years of study.

Quiet frankly, this arguement on a professional basis, is getting extremely petty, boring and serves no purpose but to provide entertainment for those watching this post. It's unprofessional and not warranted.

Mark

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Mark

You seem to be so fired up about something, I'm not sure what, so much so that you are missing the point and cannot rationalise your argument. This is nothing to do with "scoring petty points" as you seem to think. You said:

"As far as RINA is concerned, yes they do accept and recoginize Westlawn. How do I know. Because I'm an Associate (ARINA)..."

Yes, they recognise Westlawn. But their recognition is not as a path to immediate MRINA status. It is via the ARINA route. In other words, further hands on responsible experience is required to attain MRINA status than would otherwise be if one went to a university and obtained a degree.

Since anyone, if in a position of responsibility for a certain period of time, in the field of naval architecture, can attain MRINA status, whether academically trained or not. I know post-Doc lecturers at University who have tried to become full members, but cannot. Because they do not posses the required breadth and depth of practical knowledge, ie they are just too academic.

Westlawn is a half-way house. It allows one to get on the path much more directly than if just working without any academic training. Whereas A degree from a university is a more direct route, ie takes less time, assuming that the person has a position of responsibility once graduated.

Because your assertion is that a diploma from Westlawn is academically the same as a degree from a university. Which it is not, it is a very good practical course which trains the student to hit the ground running in a small boat/yatch design office. Much more than a university. But the academic level is lower.

As I said:
    "It shows you have some understanding etc, but not enough to become a full member nor chartered..."

That is often because a person working in a company may not be given the opportunity to be in a position of responsibility, owing the companies stance on ARINA members - or because there isn't any opportunity in the company -rather than someone who is on a direct path to MRINA from university.

12. MF2

MF2 New Member

dear Ryan , i'm from unikl mimet..you can take part of our university course such degree in naval arch ...i saw in my computer lab, they have maxsurf as application. This year, they rise the fees to rm7000 per semester but not too worry. Our education in the University is excellent and with the new dean ..u won't regret it .

13. engine_afiq86

engine_afiq86 Junior Member

Ryan,

Why don't U try to check at www.utm.my.
    There is a course regarding Marine Technology. FYI, UTM is the pioneer in Marine Technology and the 1st ever University in Malaysia to have the programme... All the lecturers are graduated from Warwick,Newcastle.. even the ex student of UTM taking Marine Technology is one of the Board of Directors at IMAREST... The cost of study also is a lot more cheaper than IPTS...

FYI, im a student from UTM taking marine technology..if u are interested..try to email me..engine_afiq86@yahoo.com

14. madnasa

madnasa CDR

Practical

Hi,
    I like you for your love of the sea. In case you want practical learning in between your studies do contact me. I am operating a boat design and construct company in Malaysia.(power boat) Currently we have 28ft, 40 ft and 53 ft. I have Japanese Naval arch with me, my partner (30 years experience). We have been providing ship design assistance/consultant to the shipyards in Malaysia

hope to hear from you.
    nasa1509@yahoo.com

15. madnasa

madnasa CDR

Practical learning

Hi,
    I like you for your love of the sea. In case you want practical learning in between your studies do contact me. I am operating a boat design and construct company in Malaysia.(power boat) Currently we have 28ft, 40 ft and 53 ft. I have Japanese Naval arch with me, my partner (30 years experience). We have been providing ship design assistance/consultant to the shipyards in Malaysia

hope to hear from you.
    nasa1509@yahoo.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.