Job Prospects

Discussion in 'Education' started by rubenli1026, Nov 26, 2015.

1. rubenli1026

rubenli1026 New Member

Hi, i recently graduated from my pre-u course and now i'm in the middle of actually deciding what path to choose. I'm planning to head to either Southampton or Newcastle in the UK to do a BEng in Naval Architecture. I've been sailing optimist boats and laser radials and i love calculations particularly involved with physics. So i do consider having this passion for Naval Architecture.

I just wanted to ask if the job prospects are good for this field. I know there aren't many companies or firms working in this field but i do know its a major part of the cargo shipping industry. I'm from Asia and I've been planning to do an internship in the UK or elsewhere in Europe and hopefully land a job since employment for foreigners isn't that easy to get in the EU especially in this field.

Any views or opinion on this matter is welcomed :)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean that Naval Architecture is a major part of the cargo shipping industry. However, as ships get bigger, there are less of them built and designed. I am not sure what the restrictions for work visas are, but you should check them out before making plans. That is, write to the consulates of the countries that you wish to work in, and ask about it.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not the knowledge you have about that career or how could you come to that conclusion but is precisely the opposite. The bigger a boat, more naval architects are needed to design it and build it.
    On the other hand, before writing to the various consulates, it would be preferable to write to shipyards in some countries, or companies related to the shipping industry. That is what we have all done when looking for work.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Look up the tonnage per ship compared to a few decades ago. There are considerably less ships. It doesn't take more Naval Architects to design a container ship than it did fifty years ago to design a smaller bulk carrier. In fact, software has made the job easier and it takes less Naval Architects and engineers. The long rows of desks, manned by architects and engineers wielding slide rules is a thing of the past.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Clearly you do not know what the profession of naval architect.
    End of discussion.

6. rubenli1026

rubenli1026 New Member

didn't think of that. but what can i really enquire from shipyards? any vital questions i should touch on ? also, are naval architects more marketable in Asia as compared to the EU? is there a higher demand as compared to the EU? :)

7. rubenli1026

rubenli1026 New Member

so is it fair to say that the market for naval architects has weakened considerably ? what about racing yachts ? would it be harder to get involved in this field given the level of competition in sailing ?

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

No more no less than any other field really. But whatever you do....enjoy it...don't make it a "job"...love the profession you do with a passion. Don't make it a 9 to 5 clock in clock out. Whatever the job..you'll hate it if you do that.

I would recommend Southampton...since your interests are sailing too, there is a huge sailing scene in and around Southampton.

9. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

If you do well with the physics, mathematics, and general engineering
    components of the course then you will have many other options available
    to you if the marine side proves difficult to break into for a while.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.