industrial designers

Discussion in 'Education' started by dwthomps, Jan 7, 2002.

1. dwthomps

dwthomps New Member

im interested in yacht design and have a degree in industrial design. i was wondering if anyone knew of other designers with this background? it is similar to product design.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

It's more common in Europe, but there are some in the U.S.

While he's not formally educated in I.D., I'd put Luiz de Basto in the I.D. catagory - see http://boatdesign.net/archive/2001.htm

There's also a designer whose name I remember an Peter Granta. I did a quick search and wasn't able to locate a web site, which makes me think I might not have his name quite right. Anyway, the guy I'm thinking of is a graduate of Illinois State and designs production powerboats out of North Carolina.

2 people like this.
  3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

MY Izanami (now owned by Larry Ellison) at 180ft was designed by a building architect. You can form your own opinions on if it works. Having seen her "in the flesh" I like her but each to their own. (Limitless is prettier though...) :)

Izanami and Limitless

Paul

2 people like this.
  4. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

sorry Izanami was designed by London architect Sir Norman Foster Which makes this post almost entirely off topic - I'll try to do better next time!

Paul

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Not to drive the thread off topic, but I just found the website for the Savannah College of Art and Design Project: http://www.scad.edu/mdp/

At one time I really considered going there. And I like their model (above).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.scad.edu/mdp/

8. Stephen Ditmore

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Who do companies choose more of...ID, ME, or plane designers?

Sorry, I'm new to this setup here.

Like all of you, I have a passion for designing boats...it's my dream. But I can't seem to get anyone to tell me what the manufacturers want? Do they want Industrial designers, mechanical engineers, draftsmen, etc.?

If anyone has any advice please email me at tucker_12001@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ryan

10. Thomas Ask

Thomas Ask Junior Member

I was just at the Savannah College of Art and Design and didnt know about this project. My loss...

Industrial design skills are certainly important for a yacht designers (see the recent Robb Report, for example). Owners want beautiful boats and ergonimic layouts.

11. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Guest says "I can't seem to get anyone to tell me what the manufacturers want? "

That depends on the manufacturer, and who he has there now. Most of us designers are a bit of everything by default. I do hull design, hydrodynamics, limited aero-dynamics, rig design (sails and spars) interior design, industrial design, mech eng, light marine engineering (motors, etc.), the aesthetic part (makes it look good), structural design (as distinct from straight mech eng) and a fair amount of custom hardware design.
    What am I? Good question, but my degree-equivalent says "Yacht and Boat Designer" on it, which equates to Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-some.
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  12. Stephen Ditmore

If you still have some years for school ahead of you: an engineering degree helps, and I strongly advise you take the EIT exam immediately upon obtaining your B.E. This will do more for your employability than an industrial design degree. The joint program in aeronautical & ocean engineering at Virginia Tech is an interesting concept.

Former Coast Guard officers who understand the regulatory environment enjoy a certain cache. If you're applying to colleges in the U.S. consider the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

That said, an industrial design background is better than nothing. Going forward, I'd say learn to use Rhino and 3D Studio Max or Viz or another animation program that will allow you to do walk-through presentations. CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing) knowledge also helps.

Also note that I've often seen help wanted ads for an industrial engineer or producion engineer with composites background & experience to manage and improve the production process.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

hi all this is Rusty Allen I am going to The Savannah College of Art and Design as an Industrial Designer. They are starting a Marine Design minor in the Winter of 2003. I will be a Sr. this fall and I recomend the school to everyone. The school is less than 10 miles from 3 large boat design facilities. People with Questions about the school E-mail me @ TWORUDE130@aol.com.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.