Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Employment and Education > Education
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 03-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
Help me to fulfill a dream

Most my life i have dreamt about moving away to study the art of traditional wooden boat building for the purpose of some day being able to call myself a wooden boat builder. I have researched a number of schools to attend. Lyme Regis, in England. The Arques school, Sausolito Cal. Maine, Washington, Florida, Rhode Island, Canada, Australia... the list goes on. My plan was to move far away and start this amazing life of boat building. Location didn't matter so much when i was younger without a family to think about. I live in Southern California, Orange County with a burning desire to work toward my ultimate dream. I Have zero wood working experience, I wonder if anyone has advise for me to help my dream become a reality without having to move to a distant land. There are no boat building schools in southern Cal. that i know of although i could take some basic wood working courses, But what kind? And How could i then get the experience to build boats. Please some One help me. Anyone live in Southern California?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Rep: 200 Posts: 691
just found this little lonely post,
I guess he must be gone now but, damn,
if he was as serious as he sounds, Its a pity (with nearly 500 views) he couldn't get a little advice (not that I would know where to point him...)
Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Rep: 88 Posts: 315
Move to Maine to attent The Landing School. Thats what I did/am doing. I lived in San Diego and told my wife to pack her stuff, we're going to Maine! I've been here three weeks and I'm loving every second. Hopefully I'll be in next year (for design). It's not a far off land, but its worlds apart. There are jobs out here for boat building, so even if you don't go to school right away you can still work in the industry. Maby not traditional at first, but get the experiance in and move up.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Rep: 2822 Posts: 1,860
Yes, the Landing school in Kennebunkport, ME, is very good (I was on the advisory board for the design program for about 7 years). You can learn tradtional and modern boatbuilding, system installation, and design.

I am also very familiar with the International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI. You can learn all the woodworking skills and boatbuilding skills for traditionally built wood boats there.

Both are great schools.

Eric
St. Augustine, Florida
www.sponbergyachtdesign.com
Old 08-08-2006, 05:18 PM
designer

Rep: 1148 Posts: 3,484
or dream on with zero woodwork or boat experience
Old 08-08-2006, 06:06 PM

Rep: 16 Posts: 12
Dont listen to anyone negative.

Im building a raft right now, ive never done it before, but its the most fun thing that ive done in a while, and it makes me happy. go for your dream. dont let any negative words make you change your mind. you can do anything you are hard headed enough to do
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 27
isn't there a yacht restoration school up in Washington as well? It's a little closer to home just in case the dream falls flat
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Dreamer

Rep: 779 Posts: 1,580
http://www.cwb.org/
http://www.boatschool.com/
2 good resources in my area

Gary
Old 09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Sailing Nerd

Rep: 16 Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipster
or dream on with zero woodwork or boat experience
You have to start somewhere.

Landing school sounds like a good route- but how would you support yourself/family during the 1-2 years of the program?

"Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili"
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Rep: 2822 Posts: 1,860
Obviously, you have to have enough money saved to live on. The coursework is very intense, and most of the design students burn a lot of midnight oil in the classroom on the drawing boards or at the computer. You have to devote your full time and then some to the classes and coursework, so you'll have to live on savings in the meantime. If you have a family, perhaps your spouse can work to help you through.

Eric
St. Augustine, Florida
www.sponbergyachtdesign.com
Old 09-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Rep: 505 Posts: 1,638
maybe he or she can get some govt. grants for the schooling?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Sailing Nerd

Rep: 16 Posts: 41
Pell Grant provides up to $4050/yr. if you're eligible for the aid which you'll likely be.

"Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili"
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Rep: 51 Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTweak
Dont listen to anyone negative.

Im building a raft right now, ive never done it before, but its the most fun thing that ive done in a while, and it makes me happy. go for your dream. dont let any negative words make you change your mind. you can do anything you are hard headed enough to do
thats quite inspired me about my raft,i dont suppose you have a general post about yours?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 25
This is going to sound very simplistic....start with models. You can learn a great deal about woodworking using a small scale. True the characteristics aren't necessarily scale. Twist/bend/flex/stretch are hard to scale but there are some very real lessons to be learned with regards to wood species characteristics/ glue response/ finish characteristics. Using modelling techniques every component that needs to be in a boat can be included and the relationships of the components can be studied as necessary.
Another topic that comes into play is scale, not hard to understand, but greatly underused...what exactly does 1/24 scale mean??? to take a set of plans for a 36' sloop and scale them down to create a 36" model doesn't take a great deal of skill, money, tools or time, but the model can be built EXACTLY as the full size boat is constructed, learning not just boat construction, but wood materials and wood working tools at the same time. In the old days of wooden ships and iron-willed sailors, the model came first. The ship builders of the days constructed the model to present to the customer for approval. The ship was then built by scaling up the model!! I am currently seeking line drawings for a boat named Whitehawk, I have some prima vera (blonde mahogany) that I am just itching to turn into a classy model!! If you have a desire to work on wooden boats ??? find a way, make it happen....email me if you think I may be able to help??

Locate some good quality hand planes and learn some sharpening techniques as well...
mobjack68@yahoo.com

Old 02-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Rep: 14 Posts: 67
^^^^ very true, I've never build a full scale wooden boat, but building this chris craft has taught me a great deal. I feel as though I built a real one after all the work. Oh yeah, she's not done yet, but I'm sure you can tell, I've gone through the hardest part.btw pics were taken between sandings. Using west system to seal the boat, I'm on my 3rd coat, so much sanding and more sanding
Attached Thumbnails
Help me to fulfill a dream-100_1891.jpg  Help me to fulfill a dream-100_1896.jpg  Help me to fulfill a dream-100_1893.jpg