Graduated college, thinking of changing career

Discussion in 'Education' started by justin4192, Aug 22, 2005.

1. justin4192

justin4192 New Member

Hi, I recently found this website and think it is excellent. I have read a lot of good information on this forum about the boat design industry.

I just graduated from college last December with a degree in Decision Management Information Systems and an Information Technology minor, to put it more simply, it's similar to Business Management with a more technical emphasis. I have a pretty good job right now; the only thing I don’t like is how I have too much free time. I want a job more challenging and interesting. I was thinking the other day (I have lots of free thinking time lol) what I want to do with my life, where I want to go from here, etc. Well, ever since I was about 8 years old I always wanted to be a boat designer. When I was a kid, I would draw boats and yachts, create my own brochures, and dream of the boats in magazines. I wish I kept those drawings, I might have a couple boxed up somewhere, but most are gone. In high school I took 3 years of CAD and even designed a boat (designed it in CAD). Once I got into college, I tried some engineering courses, but was turned off by all the required math. I ended up with my DMIS degree mentioned above. I was thinking how I have such a passion for boats and how maybe I should look into some kind of boating career after all.

I have a real good mechanical understanding. I started building models when I was a kid. I built over 15 radio control model airplanes, sometimes building them for other people, all when I was between 13-16 years old. I taught myself how to build them and modify them. Since I loved boats, I also bought myself a radio control sailboat and powerboat. I have always been really hands on, like to build and design things. I recently finished a wooden sailboat for displaying in my living room.

I was thinking how I am not too sure if I really want to pursue a career in the IT field as I currently am. I am going to check with a local university about getting another bachelor degree, but this time in Mechanical Engineering as I had originally planned. I’m going to find out how much of my previous degree would transfer towards it. I am thinking I may be able to put that degree more to use in the marine field. I am also looking into Westlawn and YDS for getting an education in boat/yacht design. With all the free time I have with my current job, I could put it to good use with expanding my education. Reading about designing a boat, the challenge of trying to meet client’s needs, and working with what you can really interests me. I think working for a large company such as SeaRay would be great. I just am not sure if with my current degree and if I got the education from say YDS, if I would be able to start a career in boat design. That’s also why I am thinking of getting a Mechanical Engineering degree; maybe combine it with the certification from YDS.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Have any ideas if there is something with my current degree I could do in the boating industry? I live in the northern VA area, outside DC. Anyone know of any boat design companies in the MD, DC, and VA areas? I would think maybe in Annapolis. Anyone have ideas on how I could try to get started in the boating industry?

Sorry for the long message and thanks for the help.

-Justin

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Look around Crystal City. Go to www.sname.org and check out upcoming local section meetings.

3. justin4192

justin4192 New Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. I used to work in Arlington, so it's not that far from me right now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.