Geographic distribution of Naval Architecture grads

Discussion in 'Education' started by FMS, Dec 30, 2012.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

SUNY Maritime College at Fort Schuyler on the outskirts of New York City. Probably best known for graduates who become officers on ships. They offer a bachelor degree in naval architecture. Based on their online catalog it appears their program has somewhat less naval architecture and marine engineering specific content than Michigan or New Orleans though that might be misleading.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Perhaps the curriculum has changed over the years. My Mate Bryan Graduated Sunny, then went to work for Bruce Farr.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

However you wish to define this, it is 4 out of a 128 total. That is just 3% of the course dedicated to marine structures, and just 6% to hydrodynamics. Perhaps you’re definition of part-time and full-time, or rather an "add-on", is different from mine. Spending less than 10% of your NA course on structures and hydrodynamics does not make a NA degree, in the classical sense. It is in name only, not depth.

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

"Southampton Uni's comprehensive NA degree" (quote from Ad Hoc's post above) is similar. One module on Ship Structures and one module on Marine Hydrodynamics, with a module equivalent to 3 to 4 credit hours.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Only one module that is related to structures, as there is no other. And in time, as you state is 56hours. That is the only compulsory module one must take for understanding structures. This does not include materials etc. (which is defined separately too).

The same compulsory modules that one is required to take related to structures at Southampton is not one but several, totalling 700hours. The subject of structures, for example, requires several aspects for a full understanding. As I noted before it is not just in name but depth, amount of time.

There is only one compulsory module that explains structures at UM, no other. If you wish to differ, that’s your prerogative.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

So are you claiming that the Michigan's reputation as a good school for naval architecture is undeserved? The curriculum at Michigan has not changed significantly in at least 35 years in terms of amount of time spent on naval architecture subjects.

7. michael pierzga

Im confused. I thought an Engineering degree like NA was similar to a medical degree. A broad introduction to the field , then after graduation you specialized in Hydrodynamics, structural engineering......or whatever your intrest was

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I am claiming nothing..where do I say that? This is about what a NA is taught to become a degree qualified NA as opposed to an 'engineer'.

So you’re saying that a core 56hours of structures, compared to 700hours, as a subject is sufficient in a NA degree?

If 56hours yields a university that is consider prestigious compared to its peers….how much, or little structures do these others teach their NA students?

NA is ostensibly engineering. There are core base engineering subjects, yet these must then be taken into the NA field to effectively separate a Civil Engineer from a NA from an Aeronautical Engineer and so on.

A NA graduate must be proficient in 3 main disciplines:-

1) Hydrodynamics….which includes resistance, fluid mechanics etc
    2) Structures…which includes beam theory up to fracture mechanics - materials is also very important here, but is taught separately.
    3) Naval Architecture…which includes intact stability to seakeeping

Thus is the NA degree engineering with add ons..or is it primarily a NA degree with base engineering at its foundation? The graduate NAs I have trained up or assisted have all generally shown a depth of knowledge of the 3 listed above, I just provided guidance how to apply the theory, not teach the theory to them.

9. michael pierzga

And what does the US Naval Academy graduate ?

10. Alik

Alik Senior Member

To this list, I would add 'Ship Design'; we had 1.5 years (3 semesters) of it, and 'Ship construction and welding' - also 1.5 years.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Agreed.

I was trying to be brief, but these are very important. Again, don't see anything about welding or construction in the UM curriculum.

However I would place the "ship design" under the NA part and the Ship Construction etc under the structures. Since one needs to know how something is built to design it correctly. So either a subcategory or as you point out...its own merit. Not fussed where one places it..but a must on a NA degree.

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The comparison of 56 hours to 700 hours is not valid because clearly two different things are being compared.

What does your claim of "700 hours" at Southampton include and what is it based on? Lecture time only or also other time? I assume it is more than the "Ship Structures" module which is the only compulsory module specifically on ship structures. (See the link you provided.)

The 56 hours you have quoted is lecture time only for the one ship structures course required at Michigan. Structure topics are also studied in other required courses. In addition to lecture time there is the time students spend studying and doing homework/exercies and projects on their own. This additional time is usually estimated at 3 to 5 times the time spent in lectures. Total time spent studying structures is much more than 56 hours.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ensigns in the US Navy and second lieutenants in the US Marine Corps with Bachelor of Science degrees in one of 22 majors including naval architecture. A few Naval Academy graduates then go elsewhere for graduate education and degrees, some in naval architecture.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Did you study ship design exclusively for 1.5 years, or was the total time spent studying ship design equivalent to 1.5 years full time study, or did you study ship design in addition to other topics during 1.5 years?

15. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Studied parallel with other subjects by 4-5 year students. Usually 1-2 lectures per week, 1 lab and 1-2 practices. Plus two course projects; the first one was concept design of bulk carrier, tanker or general cargo ship that included GA drawings, lines plan, structural calcs/section, definition of ship parameters by optimization/mathematical methods, assessment of stability, table of weights, performance etc. for this project. The second project was similar but for offshore drilling rig (but less drawings).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.