doubts with the next step

Discussion in 'Education' started by Geovani13, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Geovani13

Geovani13 New Member

Hello everybody, my name is Geovani De Aquino, I'm from Brazil (exactly Belém/Pará, a city and a state at Amazon region) and I'm student of marine engineering and naval architecture (here in Brazil it's just Engenharia Naval). I'll graduate at the end of 2015.

I was looking for something that could help me choose what to do in the future, let me explain. I have a dream, some day I will have my own enterprise, and build motorboats and yachts. But, ignoring the financial factor to open a enterprise, I have to have more knowledge, a master's degree, for example.

So, these are my questions (and my focus nowadays): :confused: Is the Master's degree in Yacht Design indicated to me (my dreams, my professional objectives...)? If not, what would be better option? And in the case of a Master's in Yacht Design, which are the best, indicated instituitions (around the world)?

Thanks for help me and sorry for my English (I don't practice always :) )

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Hi Geovani13, Welcome to the Forum. If you really want to build boats, then forget about a master's degree and go work for a boat builder. You will need to gain a lot of practical knowledge and experience about how boats are really built, and that will be much more worthwhile to you than studying in books and taking courses for a masters degre. You don't need a master's degree to build boats, but you do have to know how to handle tools. You also need to know how to deal with customers and how a boat building business is run. The easiest way to get there is to work for a boat builder.

Good luck on your new career!

Eric

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are there still a large number of small motorsailors trading and carrying passengers in that area. I surveyed there in the early 80's

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.