From Civil Engineer to Yacht Design?

Discussion in 'Education' started by iukaman, Jan 9, 2008.

1. iukaman

iukaman New Member

Hello,

I am in my last school at a University in Memphis, TN, USA. I decided to study in Civil Engineering. My emphasis study is structural engineering/analysis. I worked as an intern at a Civil Engineering firm for 2.5 years doing several structural designs and cost estimates. I really did not enjoy all the desk work. I feel that I want to be out on the water every so often. Now, to my question....

I want to get into Yacht Design whether it is the exterior or interior layout. I would even love to do testing of the boats. I have been on the water since I can remember, and want to make my life dealing with boats. Main thing...don’t want to sit at a desk all day long. I want to be on the water. I want some advice from people on what I should do. Maybe some companies that are interested in bringing a person that have engineering background up to speed. I want to stay in the states for sure, and would prefer the south east region. But if not, no biggie. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I can provide more information or even an up-to-date resume!

Thanks in advance!!

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Start sending out resume's. There are a couple thousand boat manufacturers in the south eastern US, 700 in Florida alone (although Genmar is closing their factory in Sarasota). North Carolina has a very active boatbuilding community well supported by the state. So go for it.

Downside? sales are shrinking right now. As far as I know no one is laying off people but the boatbuilding industry is a predictor of what is happening in the economy at large. If sales start going down that means people are leery about the economy and hanging on to their cash.

Anyway, publications like Proffesional Boatbuilder and Wooden boat have job listings. Go for it. And the forum is a good place to network.

3. iukaman

iukaman New Member

Does that mean a Civil Engineer can actually be hired highered? That is the main thing i am worried about. I was researching around looking at different programs Yacht Designers use, and i got Rhinoceros 4.0. It seems pretty easy for the most part. It has the same principles as AutoCAD 2006 (which i have plenty of experience in that). I guess I am hoping that i might be able to land a job because i will have the degree and basic knowledge that most engineers have.

Has anyone heard of Christensen Yachts? Anyone know about them or have any thoughts about them? They are opening a plant in Chattanooga. I lived there for about 9 months and i LOVED it. I would love to live there if i could.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

There are a lot of "engineers" designing boats who are not naval architects, and many who are not degreed engineers, like me. There are no requirements, except in Washington state, for an engineering degree or a license. In Washington state you have to take the PE exam for Naval Architecture. There are a lot of stylists and designers hired by the boat industry that have no engineering background at all. SO actually having an engineering degree gives you a leg up. I would suggest you read up on boat design, naval architect, etc or take a course such as the Westlawn course. But none of that means you can't get a job in the boating industry. Frankly most of the boat builders out there got started simply because they thought they could build a better boat than the ones on the market. Many of them started by building themself a boat and somebody said "hey would you make me one"?

Yes I have heard of Christensen Yachts. Don't know much about them though.

5. iukaman

iukaman New Member

Thanks, that response is very encouraging. I am really hoping this works out. I am sure when it gets closer to time, i will be coming back to the careers section alot! HEaven knows i need all the help i can get!

Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.