Career Change

Discussion in 'Education' started by preaser, Aug 19, 2004.

1. preaser

preaser New Member

Hello all:

I'll be greatly appreciative to anyone who's interested in providing me with some advice. With some education (BS, MS) and experience (mostly health and science related) I'm considering putting it all down and pursuing a career in the boating industry. I've discovered that my greatest passions are aquatic in nature and not terrestrial.

After a recent trip to Newport, RI, I discovered a boat restoration school that teaches a 2 year apprenticeship in this field. Upon returning, I discovered (to my disbelief) that there is a good selection of schools that specialize in the areas of boatbuilding and design, which is my primary interest.

I guess my question is...what would the most logical and efficient path to take? I envision myself designing V-bottom performance boats. I believe my character would better be suited in design as oppose to engineering or architecture which I've been told is mostly numbers crunching and theory.

Would a place like the Landing School be a good start, or would I need another degree in this area?

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Design is engineering unless you are just doing styling.

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

What? Are you crazy! I've tried to get away from this industry on more than one occasion. My first goal was to persue aerospace engineering and design, then I wanted to get involved in combustion engineering and engine design, then I tried to get involved in manufacturing technology and quality assurance. Each time, the marine industry came and "got me", and dragged me kicking and screaming back into it's suffocating folds. All I can say is IT'S A TRAP! RUN! NEVER LOOK BACK!

Seriously though. :)If you get involved with the right employers from the beginning, and are patient, and are willing to go the extra mile to build on what the school and your employers are teaching you, you'll find it quite a fulfilling job. You can make a living at it if you're a go-getter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.