Boat Building & Design Abroad!

Discussion in 'Education' started by NBBoatGuy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. NBBoatGuy

NBBoatGuy New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the forums. Glad to be a part of the community!

Let me start off my saying I am 20 years old, and currently attending community college. I have been around boats my whole life and have a passion for them, just like everybody else on this forum I'm sure!

I am currently employed at a boat rental company in Orange County, California, as well as taking Maritime classes through my community college at a awesome facility right on the water. Classes range from maritime industry, boat handling and seamanship, to maritime environmental standards, I absolutely love it.

However, I would like to further my knowledge and education by gaining experience overseas. I am extremely interested in gaining boat building and some design experience in either Hawaii, or Australia. I am incredibly fond of these places and think it would be a great opportunity for me to learn and gain experience for a year or two!

Any advice and suggestion for particular institutions or internships, or even schools, in either Hawaii or Australia would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

NBBoatGuy,

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can give you good advice. The first of which is, I think you will get a lot more opportunity going to Australia rather than to Hawaii. There just is not too much boatbuilding or boat service going on in Hawaii, but Australia is a whole open field with lots of opportunities--simply due to the sizes of the land mass and population down there compared to Hawaii.

One thing you might consider is sailing to Hawaii and then to Australia as crew on someone's sailboat. You will gain a whole lot of experience just by experiencing life on the water that will last you the rest of your life. Who knows, you may not want to get off! At any rate, go as far as your whims will take you, and Australia sounds like a pretty good place to go.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.