Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Naval Architect

Rep: 2488 Posts: 5,193
Lesson no.1 of being a naval architect/engineer.

Be clear and unambiguous when communicating. Brevity is not a sign of clarity!

Thus when you say "it is not listed"...you meant in the list provided for entry on the website, your qualifications are not in the list, rather than...the entry requirements are not listed.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Hoc View Post
Lesson no.1 of being a naval architect/engineer.

Be clear and unambiguous when communicating. Brevity is not a sign of clarity!

Thus when you say "it is not listed"...you meant in the list provided for entry on the website, your qualifications are not in the list, rather than...the entry requirements are not listed.
Alright lol, I admit that was my fault.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 AM

Rep: 2040 Posts: 2,252
DEC10;

Clarity is the first requirement of a Naval Architect. If you cannot tell someone why they are spending an extra 1,000,000 euros to go 21 knots rather than 19 knots you have failed.

I have always asserted that confidence in oneself is the first requirement of the NA. When pitching a 3 billion euro deal you have to convince the smart guys with the money that your proposal will achieve 20.1 knots and not 19.9.
A vessel is nothing but a bunch of opinions and compromises held together by the faith of the builders and engineers that they did it correctly. Therefor the only thing a Naval Architect has to sell is his experiences.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:51 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 9
Okay guys, i know i was wrong, i'll make sure my replies are clear from now on. Sorry. Anyways, back on topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
http://www.german-maritime-universit...-tuhh,7,9.html

Take a look at this school in Germany. I have no idea what it costs or it's reputation.

However I do know this about German Naval Architects. In 1969-71 I worked along side a Naval Architect who got his degree in Germany, I believe he was from Hamburg but I don't remember the university. it was a German University. The guy was brilliant. He was one of the finest Naval Architects I have ever worked with and I have worked with quite a few. If they teach like that in Germany I can understand why you would want to consider it. Back when I was in High School (the 60's) they had a Naval Architect visit my school and he said " take German as a foreign language because that's where the best schools are". I don't know if that's still true but I do know they have excellent engineering schools.
I was looking at this as well, but i haven't seen much people talk about it as compared to other universities like Southampton. I'm guessing it could be because German language is a prerequisite for that course though
Old 02-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Marine Technology Student

Rep: 45 Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec10 View Post
maybe I wasn't clear in my previous reply, but what I meant was that not all certifications are listed amongst the entry requirements. In my case, the diploma wasn't listed amongst there, hence, I have to email them about it...relax lol, I know you're trying to help but yea..
Hey Dec10,

I'm currently in the UK at Newcastle University. They have a very interesting range of subjects to choose from: Naval arch, Marine Engg, Offshore Engg, Small craft technology. I believe Newcastle also offer the same sort of degree in Singapore as they've set up a new campus there for Marine & Medical courses.

Other universities to consider in the UK would be Strathclyde in Scotland (one of our really great lecturers just moved there) and Southampton.

Outside UK/EU:
Another really good university is the Australian Maritime College in Tasmania, Australia (another one of our lecturers moved there). Brilliant uni with world class facilities.

University of Michigan (US)

University of New Orleans (US)

Regards,
A M Menon

Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Rep: 354 Posts: 736
Having worked with Newcastle grads as well as Strathclyde and UC London (and Southampton) specifically in offshore oil, I would not hesitate to recommend any of them.