What's the best automotive engine to convert

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Adz, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Adz

Adz Junior Member

As title what would be the best automotive engine to convert to marine use?

Diesel_Petrol?

And what type of gearbox arrangement would be required?

It will possibly be going into a Twin screw cabin cruiser
    maybe a Fairey marine huntsman 31.

For coastal cruising/Trip's from scotland to shetland that kind of thing

Best regards

Adam

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Adam,--- Gonzo will jump in here in a minute and tell you you are waisting your time and money-- he wii tell you the best way to do it would be to look for a suitable re build.
    After spending many years convering and making stuff I have to say that he is 100% correct.
    I dont know the web site address but try a google Lancing Marine --down in Southampton. They have second hand stuff galore.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I guess I'm getting a reputation. Is it so difficult to get used marine engines outside of North America? For example, at the yard where I have my shop, they are junking two early '60's Chris Crafts. They both have engines and transmissions. Right there you got four powerplants available.

4. Adz

Adz Junior Member

Had a look at lancing marine not bad price's but not much in the way of engine's not at the moment anyway

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What about Exchange and Mart?

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Gonzo--- ( is it so difficult to get used Marine engines outside of North America) Well it seems to be very different, --2x 60"s Chris Crafts???? I have never been to America but it seems like a good place to go for old marine motors,--right up my street.
    2x 60"s Chris Crafts??????? I will not be able to sleep tonight.

7. Adz

Adz Junior Member

Have not tryed exchange and mart will give it a go.

Thanks jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.