Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Propulsion > DIY Marinizing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
caveman

Rep: 16 Posts: 8
weedeater longtail

Pics for those of you that was wondering about it this one works and it has been used for almost five years.
Attached Thumbnails
weedeater longtail-100_0697.jpg  weedeater longtail-100_0698.jpg  weedeater longtail-100_0699.jpg  

weedeater longtail-100_0705.jpg  weedeater longtail-100_0704.jpg  

Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Rep: 21 Posts: 35
Thats a really nice setup, can you point me to the thread with the description of how it works?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Rep: 2006 Posts: 4,132
Literally a weed whacker with a tiller, LOL!
How's it like for the driver- easy to keep it stable, I hope?
Would be neat to see something like that with a more sophisticated prop, could probably get a few knots more top end on the boat with a bit of tweaking!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM
ol' can of sardines

Rep: -5 Posts: 41
Hummm, should a minn-kota prop work on that set-up?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:54 AM

Rep: 200 Posts: 691
Very nice, and simple.

What boat are you using this on?
Salt water or fresh water?

If you don't mind, could you go into more detail-
what alerations etc did you do.
did you try a normal prop?

Thanks, looks good.
Hans.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 AM
caveman

This is for a 14' pirogue and yes it works and has for the last 5 years through 2 -3" of water in the swamp mostly mud. It is easy to control and no a prop from a trolling motor will not work it is the wrong directionwith the prop thats on it, it will do about 7 mph. This will go where you won't want to walk with hip boots or don't want to paddle to. It will push me a tree stand and a deer in it . May look cheesy but it works!
Attached Thumbnails
weedeater longtail-pirogue.jpg  weedeater longtail-100_0704.jpg  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Previous Member

Cool rig, Caveman.

Matt is right about the potential with the prop. With the right one, you woudn't have to give up any of the sledgehammer good looks of the current setup and you would get more thrust. More thrust means running the engine at lower rpm's... which means less noise. And we all know how much racket that weedeater can make.

Still, I really like the way you approached this as a solution and not a problem.

Chris
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
caveman

Thanks !! Chris,
Anymore pitch or size will be to much. It might not look like much but it has more then enough for a pirogue. The prop is lite lets the engine reve it is also direct drive. Also this is being run in mud not so much water. To get a better idea visit GO-DEVILS web site and you will understand the type of running this does but at a smaller size. When hunting in the swamp you find ways to do things better then walking. With the extra length on the pipe its really not that noisy a lot quieter than my 25 hp go-devil. The pics don't do justice fo the prop actually has 7 x 3" pitch my go-devils prop is a 9 x 7 a lot of pitch for a 1 hp engine. This is just a "COONASSES" fix for push polling or paddling. Like the ideas keep them coming thanks.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 3
This is just what a friend and I were talking about last Friday when we were paddling out against the wind on a teal hunt. I would love to see this in person. I travel to LA all the time from MS. If you don't mind me being nosey please call me so I can see it first hand. I will buy you lunch or dinner at the place of your choice. My number is 601-818-6690 and my name is Andrew Molaison. You can also email me at molaison@comcast.net.