Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

Good vids Erich.I scribed to you.

2. HelicopterJohn

HelicopterJohn HelicopterJohn

input

Hi Eric,

First, thanks for sharing your build and the excellent video.

I will look around and see if I can find a Ryobi of that engine size.

How easy is yours to start with the lockup clutch and the young T8 prop?

When I used the lockup clutch with the curved shaft and the oddball Sheakspeare prop it was impossible to start it with the motor in the water. I would hope that the young's prop would have a lessor pitch and be easier to start.

John

3. Erich_870

Erich_870 Junior Member

John,

I don't start my motor in the water, I tilt it on to the deck of my boat and hold it down with one hand while I start it. I don't recall the motor dying even at idle when I drop the prop in the water, but it's been a while since I ran it.

I'll hit the lakes again soon and get some more footage.

Erich

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Thats because you got the right prop on it ......

5. American_Yankee

American_Yankee Junior Member

Wac m trac m, and any others on this forum that has an Otter Stealth 2000 duck (sneak) boat, I'm interested in any information you'd care to share, on any engine you have found to be successful on this specific boat. I have been studying the post on this forum, and appreciate the pics and vids that have been posted. However, most of those posts by the "movers and shakers" are at least five years old now. I'd be interested in knowing if what you had at that time worked so well that you're still using it, or if you've come up with a "better mouse trap" since then, and just haven't written about it.

I have a couple of engines, a Ryobi 31cc and a McCullough 101, that I'm considering as a "power head". The Mac 101 has a horizontal shaft, and I'm told produces around 5 HP. It is a horizontal shaft, and is a two cycle engine. It was used in racing carts and ultralight aircraft, in the past. I don't have a photo bucket account, or I'd post some pics of the Mac 101. I know very little about this engine, and am "all ears" if someone has detailed information on it.

I'm not looking to "pull water skiers" behind my Stealth 2000, but just a reliable motor to push my boat in the environment it was designed to be used in... and hopefully get there at about 8 MPH. Any and all knowledgeable suggestions and information is greatly appreciated. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not interested in re-inventing the wheel, but in "shamelessly" using your proven designs to build a motor for my duck boat. Thanks to all that have shared so much on this thread. I literally spend hours researching the posts.

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

go with the bigger horizontal shaft mac if its weight is no problem ..no need for an angled coupling and you may be able to get it to run the opposite way just by moving the igniton so you can use a right hand prop of which there are more available.

You can post photos straight from your computer ..go advanced and attach the photo EPLS like this

Attached Files:

7. American_Yankee

Thanks for the information pistnbroke.

I have a Ryobi 31cc that I'd like to try as a proof of concept on my Otter Stealth 2000 duck boat. The way I see it, all of the work is in the shaft and prop setup. How long can it take to swap out a power head? Once I see it's all set up and working as hoped, I'll probably buy a new power head for it. I've been eying the Honda GX35 four stroke that's on the trimmers at Northern Tool. Kinda pricey though.

I'll have to look around a little bit on the picture posting. When you say "go advanced", are you talking about a feature on this website? If so, where is it found? I'm a "shade tree" computer operator... two finger typing and all of that jazz. I'll try to figure it out. My boat is identical to Wac m trac m... except, mine doesn't have a long tail on it...yet!

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

bottom of the box you type in next to post quick reply...

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Like this:

Attached Files:

10. hoytedow

Then like this:

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

Followed by this:

Attached Files:

12. American_Yankee

How to Post Pics on This Thread

Thanks for the help guys. I'll see if I can post my Little McCullouch engine. I've done further research, and believe it to be
    , not a Mac 101, but instead a Mac 91MC. Has anyone used either of these McCullouch engines in a long tail conversion?

13. American_Yankee

Otter Stealth 2000

[​IMG]

Couldn't find the engine... will look some more. But, here's a try at posting a pic of my Otter Stealth 200 duck boat.

Attached Files:

14. hoytedow

Well done.

15. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

does not look a problem ..four nice strong bolts around the crank output ..plate on here with tube welded to it and straight coupling inside ..exhause looks easy too ..is this it ??

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.