Weed eater engine conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ward, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Fishkilla

Fishkilla New Member

Heys guys, just joined the forum because I was looking for info on building a motor myself. Was wondering where you might have found these equations to come up with these results? Any input would be appreciated!
    -Fishkilla

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

the above does not make sense to me ...for 1000 rpm and 1inch pitch you get approx 1 mph ...so this 7000 rpm and 1.92 pitch gives about 14 mph .....or we have 66% slip .....and we keep that slip as the size/pitch goes up or it will be doing 14 mph I dont think ....

I had an interesting e mail exchange with youngs props whilst looking for a prop for my longtail 6.5hp 2:11 www.youngprops.com .....this must be the only company that sells props and carnt tell you the pitch " steep near the boss tapering to zero at the tip "...and a metric hole ....now come on dont even go there ....

3. CHRSEGU

CHRSEGU Junior Member

There is a place in south Louisiana that makes props. They make small brass & stainless pops for 5HP long tails. When I get back to Louisiana on Monday I will look up the number for you.

4. Mark Wo

Mark Wo Senior Member

Can you share

Can you share the source of props you mention above. Many of us would liek to knwo.

Thanks -

Mark

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Chrsegu has not contacted me by PM or otherwise...yes props is a problem which is why my right hand rotation unit chain drive was built ( almost finished just painting it = will post here ) Having much experience with props on outboards I know that you can do nothing without a rev counter ..hence all this talk of 1/3 throttle and the prop bogging ...this is the device I use ..runs to 25000 rpm 1 ,2,4 stroke ..one wire to wrap on the plug lead ..

ADDED 20/2/09 or 2/20/09 as you prefer.

This tacho is a unique design being ok on 1 stroke 2 stroke or 4 stroke motors . It has 5 8mm digits and runs to over 25,000 rpm It is availabe in the USA by contacting jimspring@verizon.net or in Australia contact noosapropshop@yahoo.com.au .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  6. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

pistnbroke,

What is the make, model and source for that tach/hour meter?

7. John O`Neal

John O`Neal Junior Member

This type of tach/hour meter is used a lot by go cart racers . They should be readily available through local cart racing supply outlets. My grandsons cart has one.

Attached Files:

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well not quite john ..these meters are unique in that they will do 1 stroke 2 stroke and 4 stroke and have a large 8mm display of 5 digits and run to over 25000 rpm.

they are available from jimspring@verizon.net in the USA or by contacting noosapropshop@yahoo.com.au in AUSTRALIA .

Attached Files:

9. John O`Neal

Pistnbroke; You are correct, the unit you reference is much more sophisticated than a cart tach. My unit is a Mychron 4 single wire . It will handle 2 stroke or 4 stroke. It is digital and will display RPM , cyl head temp. interval times, and act as a data logger. I gave $150 used for mine.

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Wow thats a lot on money ...these are $31 in the USA + postage and $65 In australia inc Express Post $60 each for two or more still with the express post ( Australian dollar worth about 35% less than the american )

11. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Junior Member

www.northerntool.com item# 160590 @ $39.99 is very similar to pistnbroke's tach/hour meter. It has a non-replaceable battery that they say will last for 5 years.
    Pistnbroke, is the paint dry on your longtail dry yet ? Looking forward to seeing it.

12. John O`Neal

Pistnbroke/Kingfisher; Wish I had known about the models you guys reference. I could have saved a lot of money. The Mychron 4 is a bit expensive, it runs about $350 new. Thanks for the info.

13. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Kingfishfer ..not quite the same ..does not do a 1 stroke engine ( 2 cyl 2 stroke and 4 cyl 2 strokes) Battery on the one I suggested is 10 years not 5.
    dont see any buttons

14. srimes

srimes Senior Member

doesn't it just measure off of 1 plug wire? In that case it doesn't matter how many cylinders it has. It just needs to know if it's 1 spark per rev or 2 revs per spark.

15. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Not Quite Srimes

A one stroke fires at the end of each stroke ie twice per rev..two cyl 2 strokes do this with a double ended igniton coil.

A two stroke fires once per revoluton

A four strokes fires once per 2 revolutons thought most modern 4 strokes fire every revolution its called wasted spark ... most cars and Briggs and Stratton Honda ect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.