volvo marine vs ford 351 windsor

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by kennyharding, May 22, 2005.

1. kennyharding

kennyharding New Member

Hi
    I'm not sure if anyone can help me on this quiz. I am an auto mechanic trying to help out a friend who has a seized volvo marine engine. The engine is now out of the boat and stripped in the workshop. On examination of various parts eg pistons, block, rods, crank, bearings etc etc I've noticed that everything has a ford stamp on it. I belive that this volvo engine is a ford 351 windsor in disguise. Can anyone tell me if I can use off the shelf parts from a frod auto dealer to repair this engine with. Basically I'll need 8 pistons and rings, big end and main bearings, oil filter and I'll also need a full gasket set although I believe I'll need to use a stainless head gasket to prevent erosion. Engine serial number is 4110122883 and spec number is 3868324. If anyone can give me some direction on this as I'm trying to sort this out in Thailand where parts are limited for Ford let alone volvo marine.
    Kenny

2. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

You canot use of the shelf auto pistons you could probly use auto bearings.You are corect about the head gasket.You can use high performance auto parts from a hot rod supply catalog like P.A.W. ,JEGS,or summit.you need forged pistons.there is a huge aftermarket for marine gas parts try looking up sierra marine they should have you covered.How did it sieze up.You need to take a real good look at the exhaust manifolds Gas engines cast iron manifolds are garbage

3. kennyharding

kennyharding New Member

Hi
    Thanks for that, I've looked at sierra marine and will call them tomorrow. Would you have any idea how I'd cross referance parts across from volvo to ford, eg the bearings and pistons, the hot rod people may not recognise volvo marine numbers etc?

4. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

The only volvo parts on that thing will be the marine parts every thing inside the motor will be ford the backs of the bering shells may even have a ford number on them.some casting numbers on the block may give you more clues to what block you have exactly.pull a main and a rod cap and check them out they may still be good.How did it sieze.the top end corode up from salt water intrusion,or did the top end sieze from over heating,or did the bottom go from oil preasure loss.Over here in the states they sell rebuilt longblocks as cheap as dirt.If the bottom end is toasted and you have to grind the crank I would get a long block instead and throw all of your marine **** on it and let it rip.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I have built several engines with hypereutectic pistons with great success. Not much difference in price tho. Definitely avoid cast pistons. Ditto on the Summit Racing catalog, all of my parts came from them for my last 2 rebuilds. MUCH cheaper than marine catalogs, and in my opinion, better quality.

6. Roger1969

Roger1969 New Member

I had a ford 351 engine and it was not reliable for marine usage. I would pull the engine and use something from crusader

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Power Tech. What about the cast iron, stock Mercruiser 5.0L headers is so bad?

8. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

I never seen a mercruser 5.o before so I don't know mutch about them.I supose if the lower part of the manifold is fresh water cooled like on some engines it would be allrite but the top of the elbo were it mixes would still be a piece of crap.Cast iron mixing elbos suck in salt water.I know alot of them engines the whole manifold is salt water cooled and that ain't no good.plenty of manufacturers use cast iron for there elbos both gas and diesel and in my opinion they suck.what blows about it is not only does it corode out easy it expands as it corodes and clogs the flow.Good for me the mechanic but bad for the motor and the coustomer.Gas guys :rolleyes:

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The pistons are hyperheutectic forged so they don't expand as a cheaper cast type. The ring gap is larger in the upper. Bearings are the hard high performance type. Oil pump is std pressure high volume. Camshaft is marine. Crankshaft is hardened. Exhaust valves are stainless. Intake valves are sodium filled. Freeze plugs are bronze. Gaskets have stainless inserts and inside mesh. Fuel and electrics are marine. Marine sparkplugs have stainless body but look the same.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.