Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 - how many HP - prop calc

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by sailingmonica, Oct 20, 2009.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Air intake:
    Anything over 50 mm or 2" is fine.
    And no air filter on a marine diesel, just a piece of wire mesh to keep the mice out. But it doesn't matter, Monica's problem is not related to the air intake.

2. sailingmonica

sailingmonica Junior Member

Thank you all for your help. I am sorry if I provided incorrect/incomplete info.

The engine is a VW Jetta Diesel, 1.6, with hydraulic lifters and non turbo. The problem is that we do not know the year of the engine. We were told that they were made non turbo but with hydraulc lifters for a short period of time somewhere between 1984 and 1988. Matt, it is not computerized, all mechanical.

When Angelique and Liki questioned the HP and RPM I started to call around. Dealerships shot me down as I could not provide the year. The Partsplaceinc in Michigan told me it could be 52 HP at 4,800 RPM, but they are not sure. I registered on jettajunkie dot com and I asked the question on the forum. Waiting for feedback.

The prop is not fouled in any way, never was. The keel, however, is thick (internal ballast) but we narrowed it towards prop to allow for good water flow. I will measure this weekend and provide info (boat is hauled out right now).

I was trying to upload two pictures of the propeller area but they seem to exceed the limit allowed. Anything I can do to fix that?

3. liki

liki Senior Member

Just trying to provide you the correct data and some estimates what the engine could deliver at the revolutions you are reaching when everything is operating correctly.

4. sailingmonica

Liki, I am grateful for the fact that you and Angelique questioned the data I provided. A propeller is not cheap and by you asking the question you may have saved my both $$ and aggravation. Please don't think that I meant to cricize you, I would actually hug you if I could.

I don't know where my husband got the 53 HP at 4,000 RPM info, but I will get to the bottom of this. Please do not give up on me just yet.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Monica, I gues the engine data was somewhere in the cars documents, and should be assumed right, for now.

Liki
    can you narrow that down a bit by the info given so far? Golf 1,6 ltr., hydr. lifters, around 54hp, will be in your data base.

Cornelis
    And who said he does´nt take the bait?

Angelique
    there are more than just two possibilities. And the second engine you listed seems to be out of the choice.
    And as Cornelis said: there are no air filters on a marine diesel! Therefore no restriction.

Regards
    Richard

6. sailingmonica

Apex1, what I did not mention is the fact that, while initially we bought a VW Jetta Diesel car 1.6 from 1984 and used that engine for a while (non hydraulic lifters), we recently bought and installed the engine we currently have (with hydraulic lifters, does not make that clickety clickety noise that the one before was making). As I said, the guy that sold this motor to us had it sitting on blocks and, well, the serial number on the engine block that could have given us clues as to the year it was made was filed off.

The data I provided did not come from any document, but was rather something someone told my husband. Sorry.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Oho,
    that makes the research serious!
    Now the Finnish fraction is asked to go deep into their data base. (they know the brand of the watch of the guy who first started your engine)
    But even they like to know some basic data first.
    Well lets see, if he can help.
    Otherwise you can try to climb the hill in reverse gear! Bodo will assist in finding the issue through the prop data.
    I told you, you´re not lost. And we lured the right ones!!!

Richard

8. sailingmonica

I will look at the engine with a magnifying glass for any info. I will also take pictures and will try to upload, if the size limitation will allow.

If this helps, the fuel injection pump on the engine has the number 068 130 081C on it. The partsplaceinc told me that based on the pump number the engine is probably a 86-87. At least that is what they think.

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

That's starting to sound more and more plausible as the information on this boat and engine comes out. If this engine were so badly overloaded that it couldn't get past three thousand revs, I'd think we would have been told about a black-smoke-at-full-throttle issue by now.

Is the throttle linkage moving through its full range, ie. does full-forward on the control lever match up with wide-open position at the engine?

10. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

In that situation it could have been a turbo engine without a turbo that was sold to you. Eg the turbo was broken and the exhaust manifold etc. was changed for one from a non turbo engine. In that case you have a perfectly good running engine with very low power. It could be the type in the spec's below. But if that's the case a lot of the spec's has been changed. Especially those relating to the power and torque and the corresponding rpm's. If the turbo is removed and nothing is done to the characteristics of the engine to equal that of a standard non turbo engine then the power and torque will be much lower than that of a standard non turbo engine.

I hope that it is not that and that it appears to be something simple such as the non max throttle thing. etc.

But obviously the filed off numbers are an clear indication never to buy such thing. It could be a stolen engine or a engine from a stolen car. Or a cover up for a broken turbo and the non turbo thing. The numbers are never filed off for no reason.

1985+ Volkswagen Jetta CL TD

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=16258

- Bore × stroke: 76.50 mm × 86.40 mm 3.01 in × 3.4 in
    - Cylinders; Straight 4
    - Displacement: 1.6 litre 1588 cc (96.906 cu in)
    - Type: Single overhead camshaft, 2 valves per cylinder, 8 valves in total
    - Compression ratio: 23.00:1
    - Fuel system: Bosch diesel inj.
    * Maximum power: (DIN) 70 HP/PS/PK/CV/... (69.0 bhp) (51.5 kW) @ 4500 rpm
    * Specific output: 43.5 bhp/litre 0.71 bhp/cu in
    * Maximum torque: (DIN) 133.0 Nm (98 ft·lb) (13.6 kgm) @ 2600 rpm
    * bmep = Brake Mean Effective Pressure: 1052.5 kPa (152.6 psi)
    * Specific torque: 83.75 Nm/litre
    * Maximum rpm: ????
    - Coolant: Water
    - Bore/stroke: ratio 0.89
    - Unitary capacity 397 cc/cylinder
    * Aspiration: Turbo D.
    - Catalytic converter: None

Things that dramaticly change after the removal of the turbo are marked with an * in the spec's.

Regards, Angélique

11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Would you not want to be geared and propped for the rpms that the engine produces its maximum torque rather than hp? I have a VW passat tdi which is a computerized engine and one which i have thought would be a nice boat motor and the owners manual shows maximum hp at something like 4800rpm but maximum torque at 1900rpm,i dont see any relevance at all to the hp figure as i drive the torque and rarely see over 3000rpm even going thru the gears,i sure wouldnt want to be motoring at anything near max rpm with it in a boat but it would be quiet and smooth at 2k,what am i missing?
    Steve.

12. sailingmonica

OK, for all it's worth I am going to give you everything I can think of.

I had this same engine working with a ZF transmission with a 1.9:1 reduction ratio. I used the same propeller I have now, 16X10.

The boat did not have very good docking (low speed) maneuvreability. In order to control the boat while docking had to keep putting it in and taking it out of gear.

When taking off in forward from a stopped position, such as exiting a lock, I would put it into gear and push the throttle 50-75%. The boat would jump ahead vigorously and pick up speed quickly. But, the RPM would drop fast and the boat would stay at about 5.1 to 5.4 knots. When pushing the throttle at max, in perfect conditions of no wind and current we could reach 6.9 knots, but took a long time to get there, maybe 5 minutes. So basically we could get up to 5 knots fast and took way longer to get up from there.

With 25 knots of wind on the bow, the speed would drop from, say, 6.3 knots to 3 knots. Same if going against current. There is a narrow channel in the ICW called Snow Cut where we encountered a current of 4 knots. Before entering the cut our speed was 5.4 knots and it dropped to less than 2 knots in the cut.

We then changed the transmission to a ZF with a 2.63:1 ratio, because we did not want to subject the Aquadrive to too high RPM. I now have good docking capability, but can no longer push throttle and take off fast. If I push throttle fast the boat does not move immediately, but slowly in time. It will not "jump" any more.

I may be asking too much, but what I am hoping to achieve is a balance between good docking capabilities, quick response and decent cruising speed.

Does any of this has any meaning?

13. sailingmonica

Steve W, I absolutelly see your point. But, in order to calculate what propeller I need I have to input into the program "maximum HP" and "maximum RPM". Of course, the program was created for marine engines, where I assume you can state whatever the engine is rated for. What should I enter in my case?

14. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Yeah,i dont know what you would need to enter into the program,you may want to contact the folks who marinised the vw diesel and called it the Pathfinder,i think they are in Canada,they must have some kind of formular they used to recomend prop sizes and reductions for different boats when they sold the engines.Good luck.
    Steve.

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Some questions:

1. When not in gear, what is the max rpm you can reach?
    2. Is there any black smoke at full throttle and load?
    3. Is there gray smoke and the smell of diesel at idle?
    4. What did you do with the start assist lever at the back of the fuel pump?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.