Marinizing VW turbodiesel engines

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by CDK, Aug 31, 2007.

1. tuco35

tuco35 New Member

Help

very interesting tread .. I was just wondering if you can help me I have a bayliner with a 3.0 L mercruiser engine on an alpa 1 gen 2 stern drive the engine is on it last legs and I was thinking of installing a vw /audi 1.9 tdi diesel engine .. now here is the question what will i need to do to marinize the car engine and what can i use from the car engine and the mercruiser as i'm on a budget and any suggestion as where to get parts???

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Assuming you have access to an engine with a (partial) wiring harness, immobilizer, key lock, the control unit and wiring diagram, you need a water cooled exhaust manifold, a bell housing, raw water pump and lots of coolant hoses.

The manifold and probably also the bell housing are available from Lancing Marine.

You also need access to a machine shop and/or a skilled friend because you have to convert the engine coupler from the mercruiser engine so it fits the VW flywheel.
    And you have to make your own engine front support or adapt that from the mercruiser as well.
    If your budget is really tight you can make the whole bell housing yourself.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

CDK Perhaps I missed the post but are you making any progress with the tunnel hull and the two 1.9s ..now its summer in the med is it another period of experimentation?

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

pretty impressive stuff there C
    I really like the adapter plate

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Not really pistnbroke. This winter I built a dedicated trailer which will make hauling the boat out a more straight forward operation (http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/op...stay-water-33847.html?highlight=how long does).
    I replaced the makeshift steel plate between the tunnels with a fiberglass bridge so no air can be sucked in anymore, replaced some badly corroded ball bearings on the rudder shafts with nylon bushings and improved the construction securing the rudders to the shafts.

Then I sanded the hull and applied two coats of blue "hard matrix" antifouling from an Italian company called Veneziani because I've seen in the marina that it really seems to live up to its promise to keep the barnacles away for several years.

What still remains to be done is to lift the port engine and have it overhauled, but as you remarked summer is approaching so that operation has to be postponed until the fall.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well now you have my attention .How do you do that then.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You're not on a tight budget Frosty!

8. mytyemail

mytyemail New Member

VW Diesel Jet Boat :)

Lux-wales,

Love the vid... What jet drive and impeller are you using? You do not need a transmission? RPMs are OK? Sorry for so many Questions... New to this boat design stuff:eek: Looking to build something similar.

CDK Thanks for your info too! Very helpful. Hope to learn more and ask better questions soon

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The trick of marinizing a motor vehicle engine is in the choice of engine.

50% of the problems can be avoided by choosing the right one.

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Same goes for Women Frosty ...

11. Mladen

Mladen Junior Member

Hello CDK, I'm just curious are you still there since i'm close to start marinizing VW 1.9 for my new boat, and i have a lot of questions...?
    Regards, Mladen

12. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes Mladen, go ahead!

13. Mladen

Mladen Junior Member

Vw

Well, CDK I'm glad you still look at this forum, i found your informations very valuable. My intention is to connect VW 1.9TDI with Volvo AQ 100 bell followed with Z drive. I would like to employ VW 1.9 year '96 - '97 Golf 3 engine, which IS computer controlled, and since I'm electronic technician I believe i can cope with all challenges needed to employ such engine run outside of car, mounted in boat. I just need power 90 - 120 hp and light weight. The problems i will face with are as follows:
    -Limited space for starter motor installation, due to unusual configuration, i'm not sure yet will starter fit between engine and transom (Z-drive). On some (gasoline) VW versions starter is at engine side, that would work much better for me since Volvo bell has bulge for starter gear.[​IMG] I believe i could modify starter motor to rotate opposite direction.
    -Limited space for turbine, due to Bowman exhaust manifold configuration. There is a man in my neighborhood who did make few home-made welded inox exhaust manifolds (not combined heat exchangers) using old cylinder head as a template. I'm curious about Bowman, how much connections is on it, and where they need to be connected? What is the price and availability right now? How did you install impeller water pump, and do you use intercooler? It seems that Bowman manifold has it's gas outlet placed inadequate for my purpose, the original Volvo manifold has it's outlet at opposite side (toward boat bow). Can Bowman designed for 1.5 engine fit also 1.6 and all 1.9 engines? I haven't yet my engine to be marinised, i'm seriously thinking about buying old VW car and take out engine, all sensors and computer, bulbs, fuse and relay boards, cabin heat system,... (then sell rest of unnecesarry parts).
    -After studying your engine-gear adapter drawings, i'm not sure where are holes for VW engine mounting? I only see holes for gear and starter motor. I apologise if it is too much questions at a time. Please do some comments. Thank You in advance for your efforts and time!
    Mladen

Attached Files:

14. Mladen

Mladen Junior Member

And just another picture...

Attached Files:

15. essenmein

essenmein Junior Member

Re running starter motor "backwards", sometimes brushed machines have commutation advance built into the brush holder so you might find it does not develop enough torque to start the engine when running backwards since then it would have commutation delay.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.