Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Propulsion > DIY Marinizing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 4
Lawn Mower Outboard

I am going to start a project to convert a push mower into a little outboard motor for my boat at school. I currently have got two quality Briggs and Straton engines to use. Ones a 4 horse and the other is a 3 1/2 horse. I'll use which ever one I get running, though I'd rather use the much smaller 3 1/2 horse. Both are vertical shaft. The 4 horse has got front wheel drive and I was wondering if I could yank out the gearbox that turns it from vertical shaft to horizontal shaft and use it underwater. I think this would work best to keep it a simple project, but it might slow down the prop too much. Please correct me if I am wrong. What major parts do I have to cover up to prevent water damage? Does anybody have any ideas? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

I'll post some pics soon.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 AM

Rep: 8 Posts: 69
Propeller at the end of the ninety degree drive and engine on the other end is definitely workable as is in the case of almost every outboard motor.
Another way to go with this experiment could be to attach a water pump with the vertical Briggs, just above the water line and lowering the suction pipe to the bottom line.
A lot depends on the resources available.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm gona sticks with the properler idea, but what would I have to do to the gearbox to make it work under water? I plan on welding it straight to the shaft. Would this work? I got the 4 horse running, but I'm still working on the 3 1/2 horse. I heard somewhere I neeed a flywheel for it to work, is this true?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM

I need help people! Pics will ome when my USB ports get fixed!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 85
try doing a google for victa outboard Australia. They were made here for a while (similar to a very crude jet. Prop was on a long shaft under motor and went in to an assembly. It effectively pumped water from under the "outboard" and out at 90 degress for propulsion. Not very efficient but an eye turner!