Automobile Transmission, why not?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Ken Gasch, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Boating can be so simple, if we can stop improving it.

2. Lpower

Lpower New Member

Improving Boating?

"We" meaning yourself?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In a low performance application it is not too bad. The thread started with auto transmissions for a more demanding use. Those fishing boats are pretty close in shape to a sailboat and go at hull speed.

4. Yes, I mean me, Mr. simple. A Nissan Titan V8, HA Ha Ha, fat chance of that getting exhaust manifolds! Really Richard, you act like a snowball in Hades. I am leaving it up to Santa!

5. glassman

glassman Junior Member

I have good buddy of mine i though he was nuts ,he took a 24 foot garvey put a 350 with powerglide and the boat flys. he has three years on it so to each his own just think what they said to the guy with the wheel

6. He is NOT nuts. In the 50's thru 60's I lived on Barnaget Bay N J. THE home of work and racing Garvey's. The JERSEY speed skiffs are the last step in a series of Kamakazi boaters. We would over power swim shorts if we could.

7. glassman

glassman Junior Member

i have raced them but what he did was nuts the boat has a wheelhouse and dry exh. he has a rad for cooling and its a work of art and runs full out 35-37 . but as you know the bay its a pounder in a chop

8. He has more ability than any one knows. Why do you think his boat uses no bay water? If needed he can suck a vacum cleaner ( jet drive boat ) to follow him into the shallows and bars and WEEDS. He is coming out, the jet jock is screwed real bad, first the sand, then the killer - all those nice WEEDS. Jet boy drops off plane and stops - NOW- He might even be tossed. The Garvy with rubber strut bushings clog a lot, prop is slicing grooves in the sand and silt- but he keeps going for 50 ' or more. Those props were all razors 1 day later, after a re-sharp. Each boat that looks so crappy,weird, just might be designed for teaching others what is needed. Jet-sprint boats look like- top heavy- too small- overpowered jokes that could not qualify at a drag boat meet. To each area, his own.

9. gulfcoast crabb

gulfcoast crabb Junior Member

It will work

The engine will work for sure, ive seen it done with the trransmisson from the car, but its not the best way to go, you might be better of just buying a transmission built that is made for that purpose, you would definatly save on some weight and it would work better. we put these kinds of boats together in south louisiana for shallow marshes. it is a little bit of work building the motor mounts, lining up the shaft building the rudder. YOu will definatly have a lot less speed than an outboard of the same size the reason we build these kinds of boats is for extremel shallow water ( the engine doesnt need to pick up water like an outboard). Subaru engines are the best choice they are very simple and light. 've seen them all used however. the weight is the biggest thing to consider. you need keel coolers unless you go with an air cooled engine, like a volkswagon, but that seems to small for what youre talking about. i've seen boats with subarus that can do 50 mps+ its pretty cool, but i would think again about the transmission choice.

10. oldgeardad

oldgeardad Certified Master Mechanic

Auto transmision feedback

The power glide is a good idea . Any more than 2 forward speeds in just about any size boat is totally unnecessary.
    Good Luck

11. oldgeardad

The superboat and unlimited offshore race boats are going to start using two speed transmissions to assist in getting the monster pitch, monster tall geared Tunnels and Deep V's up on plane. What goes around comes around.

12. The 2 speed Mercruiser transmissions, I/O, were built and proved more than 2 years ago. Payback time for Mercruiser design team. Superboats have super $$$$$$ for toys.

13. oldgeardad

Richard,
    The kind of $$$$ that are wayyyy out of my league. I could not afford the fuel for 1 race.Four 1300 HP motors.1/10 of a gallon per HP per hour:150 mile race at average speed of 120mph:520 gallons @ $4.50 a gallon for 115octane: only $2340.00! That's 8.6 gallons a minute. You could not pour gas out of a gallon jug that fast. I obviously have to much time on my hands.
    Steve

14. No matter what the price of gas. People spend more money each year on boating than any other hobby or sport. Even that one!

15. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

The UIM Class 1 Race boats have been using mutli speed transmissions for years. Most are 5 or 6 speeds. They were outlawed in the US by the sanctioning bodies to keep the costs down.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.