Auto engine marinization

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Guest, Jun 10, 2002.

1. What are the present legal loop holes for marine engines? This engine is carbed because of--- this one is --- because of---. Does anyone know?

2. Tater

Tater New Member

Check out this quote from the "About" website:

"Most gasoline inboard engines are a version of a truck or heavy duty industrial engine. Remember, your car gets to coast going downhill, but your boat engine is pushing uphill all the time. Also keep in mind that a boat engine is driving the hull through a heavy fluid, not just air."

So it would seem that a person would need to modify an automotive engine to heavy-duty specs before using in their boat. I think that's been the message most people have tried to get across here anyway. Given this information, I think its at best unwise economically to try to use an automotive engine in a marine environment. Seems like it would be much more simple/economical/reliable to use your old marine engine or find an equivilent replacement.

3. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

What is an automotive engine?

do you mean the ordinairy GM engine with some 100-300? HP with a torque similar to that of a lawnmower?

Or do you mean some high end engine with +400HP with some equal amount of torque?

just a question.

the cars I used to drive didn't use to run with carbs or mechanical ignition syst. Not completely true my 1982 BMW320 had a modified 4 doubl weber carb, it didn't have mechanical ignition system. I never had one

So let's say, this is 2005 are there still new engines sold with such an old technology?

I hope not,

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Auto engine marinisation

There are lots of these 250-300 HP light weight auto engines as standard modified for marine use being used in boats,and they have the latest teco,like adjustable cam and many goodies.There are thousands in wreckers around the world.

Attached Files:

5. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

I was thinking the same

Yes I think this IS common stuff for many people who dont have the money or who have a good idea at what they are doing.

Why does this thread allways come up with the use special marine carbs, I don't know why because any recent engine has EFI syst or is diesel. the only

I can agree with are the spark free starter engine and alternator. Even when I talk about a automotive engine, I am talking about the more high end engines whith good HP and good torque. Not a simple 1.8l gas engine with with some high HP and some shitty torque curve.
    What I want to say is that some engines are almost standard race engines, put a modified controll unit, marine alternator and marine starter on it use a good thrust bearing or jet unit and let it rock.

I know that I will do this for a test because I cant spend 20.000,00EUR on a engine to see if my boat goes well.

Greetz,

Daniel Peeters

If someone could/would sell me a working marine engine for the price I get my automotive engine I will get on it (2.000,00EUR)

6. I have been on a Nissan forum trying to find out how easy it is to pull a Nissan Titan V 8 out of a pickup truck an toss it in a boat. GOOD dealer mechanics are not completly sure if it would run as well in a boat because of continuous duty we have. IT will trigger a failsafe to 1/2 power due to continously high exhaust temperature. Other sensors will also sense this and 1/2 power the engine. Cheapest and most reliable way is to carb. the engine. Or play with a computer each time the battery is removed and the computer resets to stock settings. Do not take these problems lightly. A new universal engine computer is on the way to eliminate more engine hackers. :mad: These are special purpose car engines , like it or not. There is no good reason why different computers are needed in cars or boats or planes. 35 years ago I designed into gas sniffing equipment circuits that would cause a shutdown if you started to take readings of the circuits parts. I would hope the autos have the same in them.

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Have a look at the threads,Remote safe fuel system for boats.also,Pulsing for power in boats.

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

This looks a real neat package for a boat to me.These people make it look easy.From the Thread 10M Thai Long tail.

Attached Files:

9. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Power Tech: you have been consistently obnoxious and insulting. This is past the limit. I will put a complain about you and request you are banned from the forum. Anybody else that thinks Power Tech's comments shouldn't have a place in the forum, please complain to Jeff too.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The picture of the engine posted by Tom Is a typical Thai engine installation. The frame can accomodate almost any engine, notice the greasing thumb screw at the output saft. All the parts required can be bought at just about any hard ware shop. Interestingly the surface propellors that they use are incredibly cheap. The smallest is approx 4 inches and is 35 Baht --42 Baht to the us dollar. machined and keyed ready to fit, (No mistake there).To every Mercruiser standing in the car park un-repairable there will be a thousand of these. Allmost all have no exhaust system and some times no manifold--ear splitting at times. These reliable installations take tourists out to islands as far out as 40 miles. I do see them being towed but its not common. Love or hate em, they are as much a part of Thailand as aquatic shows are to Florida.
    The smilies are too late.

12. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

I have used a 350 cu. in Chev in a 32 ft. commerical Fishing boat for 13 years. I run about 250 hours in July every year. The motor has been rebuilt twice since I have had it. It's a good truck motor and nothing more. Auto carb, distributor, alternator, starter, fuel pump. The starter mounts high on the flywheel housing. Flywheel housing matches the reduction/transmission. It is not uncommon for us to fish in 8 foot sea's.
    It works.
    Fuel pump could be a problem - up to two years ago, it was electric.

13. hartley

hartley Junior Member

Im a late contributor to this interesting topic,I realise that some of the regular contributors are U.S based and are quoting U.S regulations on marine engines ,I also feel some are pushing their own barrow business wise .
    However there are many countries outside the U.S that put auto engines both petrol and diesel in boats and make them work.
    Here in Australia there is a long tradition of marinizing auto engines for marine use.perhaps not as much as in past times (perhaps people have more money)
    Engines that come to mind are the small English ford 10,there were numerous companys manufacturing water cooled manifolds etc,some supplying complete
    packages,engine,gearbox,shaft,prop,stuffing box.then there was our own home grown product the G.M holden these were put into boats by the thousand ,and not forgetting Henrys side valve V.8 these were a firm favourite for the speedboat boys.
    On the other side of the world in the U.K a firm called Lancing Marine,of which I have a catalogue they have parts to marinize just about every engine you can think of ,from mercedes 5 cylinder diesels to umpteen ford engines to would you believe jaguar DOHC engines,they supply everything bell housings gearboxes,manifolds,shafts instruments,everything you can think of,but nary a marine camshaft,special marine blocks,or other bits deemed necessary by some,good heavens I believe the ring gaps in these engines are the standard gap.So it would seem that marinizing auto engines is alive and well in some countries,
    Now lets get back to some of the things deemed necessary in the U.S
    stainless steel head gaskets .....why on earth would you want these in a closed cooling system,surely youre not running raw water through these engines.
    special blocks with added compounds by the manafacturer.......I would have to have some some definite proof from G.M or FORD that these blocks do exist in the general market place ,to have a dedicated block line and different casting practices for the miniscule number of engines involved defies reason.
    just as well ole Henry is long gone
    I havent even discussed diesels yet but be assured the same applies,Japanese kubotas marinized by a host of companys,same applies for nissan,to a lesser extent izizu.
    So to all you people out there wishing to marinize auto engines .Go for it.thats my 2 cents worth.............Good luck.

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Here in New Zealand we (Industries leaders) are thinking of following Australian Regulations in regards to some recreational boating Regulations. (how you are allowed to build boats).What do you think hartley,about your Regulations.Some of the old boat motor instalations had some prety hairy cooling systems (raw water) being sprayed into the exhaust manifold just a few inches from the valves (ford 10) a manufactured product.The technology now has progressed a long way,yet many modern motors use raw water aroung the motor.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.