40 year old needs new engine.

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by Bigswede, Aug 5, 2012.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I never bothered with the 2-digit engines so I'm not sure, but it probably is the same engine with just a different injection pump setting. All Bosch pumps of that era look identical, yet have different model codes because there somewhere is a slightly different spring in the governor assembly or the timing advance mechanism.
    Both engines were used in the same cars at the same time, one went in export models, the other was for European cars.

I think either one will suit your purpose.

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

3. SiggiJo

SiggiJo New Member

Hi Jens and other Albin 25 enthusiasts & thread contributors !!

This thread is now a few months old but as my first post on this forum, I'd like to resurrect it as I'm curious if you proceeded with your engine upgrade? I also have an Albin 25 that I'm looking at re-engining with a VW 1.9 non-turbo diesel. I have actually already bought a low mileage (60K miles) VW Golf as en engine donor. The best part of that is that I drove the car for a few weeks, to see if any engine problems, leaks, knocks etc. She runs sweet as a nut, no oil consumption, great starter even in the cold and I can see from the car service history that the mileage is genuine. I would recommend this method if you are buying an engine. If you buy an engine already removed, you really don't know what you are getting.

Anyway, as I just came across this thread, it was great to find the list of parts needed for the conversion (Thank you CDK!!) I'll go with the Bowman heat exchanger/header tank combo but I'm a little unsure of the best gearbox and what reduction ratio I should go for. Also looking into the required wet manifold. Like you, I'd like a better reliability and a few extra knots would be a nice bonus. My Albin has the VP 2003T which sounds ok, but as I don't know her history and VP parts are uber expensive here in the UK and I have access to a machine shop, I've decided to re-engine.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this or who is thinking about it and any advice would be much appreciated and I'll share my experience when I get stuck into this - which hopefully will be within the next couple of months.

Many thanks..... Sig

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.