Yanmar YSE-8

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by sjo hest, Feb 15, 2007.

1. sjo hest

sjo hest Junior Member

I acquired a Yanmar YSE-8 some years ago and am just now impressing into use for a Roberts Spray 27 I've been building off and on for some time. The engine, after a new impeller and injector, seems to run well, and I've heard they're tough. From what I can tell, neither an air nor oil filter exists. Is that of concern, or do you just plan to change oil more often? Any information about this engine would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

2. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

I bought an YSE 8 myself some years ago and got a users manual with it (in Swedish). Anyway, it says change motor oil every 100 h and gearbox oil every 250 h. It doesn't have oil filters.

It took a lot of work to make the noice from the motor bearable. A one cylinder motor vibrates a lot so you need to put it on soft dampers, add an air intake silencer and an extra silencer for the exhaust. Also build a sound insulating box around it. Having done all that my YSE 8 became rather quiet.

The positive side is that it is very reliable and hardly uses any diesel at all when running, 1 - 1.5 liters/h at full power. It would take a lot of abuse to make it stop working.

Erik

3. sjo hest

sjo hest Junior Member

Thanks, Erik! I'll heed your advice on sound dampening. Dan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.