1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Yanmar 3GM30F

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by shu, Mar 30, 2015.

1. shu

shu Junior Member

Hi all, It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. I have a Yanmar 30GM30 that's never been installed. It was the victim of a 38 foot sailboat project my dad and I started but never got off the ground when he started showing signs of dementia. With nobody else in the family interested in the project, I threw in the towel, but we have this nice engine still sitting on it's shipping pallet. I think it was purchased by my father 7 or 8 years ago.
    Since this engine model has been replaced by the 30YM30, is there much value to this? What should I ask? Is anybody here interested in this? I hope I'm not violating any forum rules with this post.
    -Steve

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Can you give us some more data? 3 cyclinder? Horsepower? weight? thanks

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I may be interested. PM me please. Thanks

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

There would be about 200 owners of Catalina 38's that might want it. The old Uni's are getting tired. Try the Catalina 38 owner's forum.

5. shu

shu Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I was cleaning it up a bit this morning and the nameplate says it's actually a 3GM30F. It has 3 cylinders (hence the 3), and I think 30 is the nominal horsepower. Any ideas about the value? I've been unable to find any pricing data, even for the new 3YM30 series.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

PM me and we can discuss it.

7. shu

shu Junior Member

This engine is about 7 or 8 years old. It was never installed in a boat. It is still bolted onto the factory pallet. My dad ran it for maybe an hour or more just to try it out, and to see if it could be hand cranked to start. The conclusion was that you could hand crank it if you are big, strong, and fearless. The technique was to get it spinning with all the compression relief levers open, and then close one. The sudden stop if you were unsuccessful felt like it would rip your arms off. My dad couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. But one big, young and strong guy was able to do it.

8. shu

shu Junior Member

Here are some photos. IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

9. shu

shu Junior Member

And a few more photos including accessories.
    IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

10. eeeasy

eeeasy New Member

I have interest in your Yanmar

Please contact me if you would like to sell the Yanmar.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.