Plumbing For Volvo Penta

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Katoh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Hi All
    In the process of removing an ad31b from my boat to do a few repairs, A mechanic friend told me what to replace before putting the motor back and one was all the raw water and cooling hoses, Iv been searching on the net and other means and to buy original Volvo Penta hoses is extremely expensive.
    Does anyone make an aftermarket hose, or can you use some other hose PVC or whatever with metal bends. Any ideas?
    The boat is plate Alloy, I don't know if electrolysis comes into the equation, but I remember reading that you should not use carbon rubber?
    Thanks
    Katoh

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

I am not familiar with the engine. Unless there are sections that are engine specific any good quality hose will work. Suction side of the pump or sections with large bends should be wire reinforced. May want to visit your local auto parts store.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Hose and fan belt makers like Gates have a range of "universal hoses" with harmonica walls that you might use instead of the expensive Volvo ones.
    Straight hoses with metal knees are another option, but not a cheap one. I marinized two VW diesels and spent a substantial sum on copper knees and stainless hose clamps. The hardest are hoses with different end diameters, for which you have to make metal adapters.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use any rubber hose with fabric reinforcement. Some factory hoses have different diameters at each end, so you need a reducer.

5. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Gentlemen
    Thanks for the replies, great news that I can use aftermarket. going to save big $ were I can put that into better areas of the vessel.
    Cheers
    Katoh

6. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

8. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

CDK, You are spot on! I wrote to the manufacturer and they just came back to me with the same thing, definitely not marine grade. Those hose's in the link are good but too short, maybe I could put a piece of stainless pipe in the middle and use 2 smaller pieces.
    I am sure I read somewhere regarding the composition of raw water pipes in stern-drives had to be of a certain material, Any carbon rubber pipe would add to electrolysis and the motor would be the looser. Another thing that I came across was these http://www.unicoil.com.au/
    but again it depends if they can handle the salt water environment?
    Katoh
    Had another quick thought, could I not be able to use the original pipes as a template, and bend some stainless pipes up in the same shape, then use a straight hose to fit fit either side?

9. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Katoh, do not worry about the carbon in rubber hoses. The electrical conductivity is very low and does not contribute to corrosion.

Two rubber hoses with a piece of stainless pipe is a good solution.

10. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

CDK, That's excellent I'm getting happier with every post, This might be a no no but can I use copper pipe or only stainless? Remember its an aluminum hull.
    Many Thanks
    Katoh

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Of course you can use copper as long as it isn't in direct contact with any other metal part.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Metal plumbing...specifically Stainless steel should not be used. Stainless steel corrodes when deprived of oxygen... wet. Stainless steel is only used for plumbing components that live in a wet, dry environment.

Metal plumbing its difficult to use...to Bend, to add pipe barbs or fittings and generally produces a messy dissimilar metal instalation .

Best to visit your local plumbing shop and see what kind of PPR systems they stock and fabricate. .

PPR is not PVC. PPR is heat welded pipe, not glued.

Isolate solid plumbing from vibration with rubber flex lnks.

http://www.aquatherm-pipesystems.com/67.0.html?&L=2

http://dexterton.com/prodbrand_view.php?brand_id=189&st_id=226&cat_id=12

http://www.piping.georgfischer.com/go/Products?real_id=2

Attached Files:

13. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

The PP-R piping looks very good indeed, now welcome to my world down in Aus, Just doing a quick search for suppliers or materials yielded not a great deal, and nothing of worth while. The other problem is cost, being new will cost a fortune down here, to get it imported the freight will get you, its a viscous circle, So far copper tubing is wining hands down, can buy preformed bends and easy to work even bend. and nowhere near the price of volvo hoses, maybe even outlast the motor? A friend told me me what you really want is brass piping. I don't know enough to comment one way or another.
    I will ask at our major plumbing supplier outlet next week about PPR, being a builder I have some contacts under my arm, but I'm not real confident anything will originate, it will be an interesting exercise. Ill post the outcome for future reference.
    Many Thanks
    Katoh

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I dont know your market , but I do know that Australia is a sophisticated place.

PP plumbing is available from my local plumbing shop. The complication with PP is that the joints are heat welded. For me this is no complication because the local residential, industrial, plumbing shop has the dies and electric heat welder to fabricate the joint.

On the boat I simply cut PPR to length, then fit dry assembled the piece of plumbing, with MAGIC Marker tick marks on the tube fittings joints to identify joint angles , then bring to the plumbing shop to have them heat weld the assembly.

Not expensive... and since I have the option of hundreds of different standard plumbing fittings in PP...nipples , unions, reducers..... its fast and cheap. Also PP is easier to hand bend, on site, to complicated forms , with a hand held heat gun.

Remember that PP plumbing comes under a range of technical use specificatios.....Im not aware of all the specs..ask you plumbing pro for advice

I suggest that when plumbing a boat , you ask your local..INDUSTRIAL... professional plumbing shop for advice on cost effective solutions.

Metal plumbing is complex, prone to galvanic corrosion and is not cost effective.

As to the original poster, many standard silicon rubber hose components are available from commercial supplies like auto repair shops.

Volvo may have unit specific hoses, but Many hose fittings are the correct dimensions for marine engines. Seek the auto part catalogue for cost effective solutions.

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The usual nonsense Mchael!

From the 1th lines of Wikipedia (your favorite source) on corrosion:

Corrosion...... In the most common use of the word, this means electrochemical oxidation of metals in reaction with an oxidant such as oxygen.

Stainless (V2A) is the number #1 plumbing material in the food industry: no corrosion and suitable for temperatures exceeding those of plastics by a factor 10.
    Yanmar uses stainless for the critical parts in their cooling system.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.