Main engine sound enclosure

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Boathome, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Boathome

Boathome Junior Member

@ Fast Fred - I agree that engine noise transmission is mechanical as well as airborne.

Is the Seatorque BOSS system the solution? I am hoping it might be.

Tony Fleming was using them at one time - I don't know whether he still fits them or not.

2. jmiele3

jmiele3 Junior Member

Well, I can say that one of the bigger issues is that when engines are designed, they are tested in a test cell under standard conditions (they are usually regulated to be tested this way), sized with an appropriate cooling system, and are spot checked during the manufacturing process. How often varies by manufacturer. We test every one in ten made in a test cell. I know one manufacturer that tests one in every 1,000 (I will not say who). I know another that tests the same frequency as we do. So, when an engine is delivered, the cooling system should work as designed under those conditions, if manufactured without defect.

Now, here's the rub. Very seldom is an engine operated in conditions of exactly 25 degrees air temperature and exactly 20 degrees water temperature. Add in the fact that every vessel has a different design, and ventilation, though usually somewhat of a design concern, is often not a focus when designing the engine room. Add in shipyard errors or attempts to save money, and you can get cooling problems. These can sometimes be ridiculous (I know of one vessel where the louvers were installed backwards) or very challenging (installations in the UAE, with 53 degree ambient air temperature).

The best that we, as a manufacturer, can do is try to standardize as best we can. As such, we carry multiple sizes or types of mounts and heat exchangers to customize when we know that cooling will be a problem.

I also totally agree with Fast Fred's answer above...We rate our engines to 200 degrees. Blowers are usually the answer. On occasion, we can modify air intakes and try to change the engine room air flow via tubing or ducting and with blowers. This is usually done on small, fast boats with engine compartments that are tight. We aim for a top-in to bottom-out flow, across the engine diagonally.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.