How much will the C of G change?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Gene H, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Gene H

Gene H Junior Member

I have a 36 ft trawler with twin diesels. I'm changing transmissions and the new output shaft has a two inch drop from the old transmission ouput shaft centerline. This means I have to raise the engines two inches. Does anyone know if that is a minor adjustment or a major adjustment to the boats center of gravity. Obviously the longitudinal c/g goes up verticaly on the boat. Is two inches too much for a 36 ft long, 14 ft wide 10 ton boat?

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

What's the weight of the two engines?
    One ton?
    Maybe the cg will rise 1/2 inch?
    I don't think that is major.
    It depends on the weight of the engines.

3. Gene H

Gene H Junior Member

C of G

They are turbo'd in line 6 cylinders so I have to believe they weigh around 1,200 to 1,400 lbs each.

4. Laursen

Laursen Junior Member

I agree it is good that you are thinking about this but a couple of inches either way is not going to affect anything also how much heavier are the transmissions that you are putting in over the orignals ?

Frank L

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

The engines are maybe 15% of the total weight, so my guess is that two inches up isn't a major change.

6. Gene H

Gene H Junior Member

Center of Gravity

The new transmissions are about 100lbs which is about 33 lbs heavier than the old ones. The boat is nose heavy though so a little more weight behind the moment point is no problem.

7. Laursen

Laursen Junior Member

My concern would be to make sure you have enough holding the engines to the stringers cause the trans weight will and is going to help you. I think when putting the new engine mounts make sure you extend the mount down not the stringer up to the mount cause then I think you could have a problem and extend the mounting surface of the mount maybe an extra bolt so it has more surface area to transfer the pressure to

Just some food for thought

Frank

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.