Diameter of Propeller

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by hasani, Apr 18, 2008.

1. hasani

hasani Junior Member

I want to choose a propeller for a tug with the following particulars:
    Main engine power(single screw): 3300bhp
    RPM: 600
    Gearing rate 1:2
    which want to tug a 5000 tonne weight in 6 knot speed. and does not have kort nozzle.
    please inform me about the specifications of the best propeller which can satisfy my needs. i want to know the type, No. of the blades, and the diameter of the propeller.
    Tnx

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The most suitable diameter is likely to be the largest you can swing if the shaft and thrust bearing can handle it. How much clearance from shaft to hull?

If you are making a serious request then you need to provide more information on the shape and dimensions of the barge to be towed.

Rick W.

3. hasani

hasani Junior Member

tnx alot. but what about the type of the propeller?

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

If you provide the detail on the barge you are towing it will be possible to do a useful calculation.

For a prop spinning at 300rpm, 4-bladed, doing 6 knots and diameter of 3m you will have a bollard pull of 30 tonne. Efficiency will be 40%.

You need to talk to a propeller manufacturer. But no point doing that unless you give some useful detail on what you actually want to tow.

This is the sort of information you need to supply to get a prop sized:
    http://www.propellerpages.com/?c=articles&f=2006-08-08_Correct_Propeller

You should also be aware that fitting a kort nozzle would lift efficiency to about 70% for such a heavily loaded prop. Would save a huge amount of fuel if you are doing the tow regularly.

Rick W.

5. hasani

hasani Junior Member

Thanks alot for your help dear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.