What software is better????

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I need to implement a software in a shipyard, and i need to know what is most reliable program that i can use. This must have a hull design interface combined with hydrostatic, stability, tank capacity, etc analisys; besides of shell plating and structure design. I know many program of this kind (MaxSurf, MultiSurf, AutoShip, etc.), but i'm still looking for one that i can use with diferent types of files that i can import or export.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

shipconstructor and shipcam you wont miss on this one this is one of the best and easy to use its integrated into autocad, fastship, ghs and swift if you need speed and propeller designs. and Autocad to run shipconstructor

or buy the whole maxsurf package or follow the links around here and buy bitts and pieces

you wont miss with this packages, if you are serieusly into full software package for your boatyard for inhouse work don't hesitate and go for this ones. don't go around with other software try this softwares and decide.

good luck

3. Dim

Dim Senior Member

what soft?

The problem breaks up to my sight on two branches:
    1. If you make the class-project ->
    Maxsurf or Fastship for ship shape, how the team which has developed SeaSolution now only prepares for an output the unit for hydro-calculations.
    (To make the smoothed hull surface in ShipCam - a very hardly job.)
    ShipConstructor ( best quality for real cost ).
    2. If you make the work-design till the class-project you receive from other firm ->
    SeaSolution - for make best quality, easy way hull surfaces and more ( plates, varios opening, etc. See examples at www.seasolution.com ).
    ShipConstractor - for full set of work documentation.
    If you need - Rhino for presentation.

All best
    Dim.

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

My recommendation would be a combination of the Maxsurf suite and ShipConstructor.

Maxsurf for hull surface design
    Hydromax for hydrostatics and stability
    Hullspeed for resistance analysis (if required)
    Seakeeper for ship motions analysis (if required)
    Workshop for preliminary structural design
    Shipconstructor for detailed structural design

Note that within the Maxsurf suite we do not attempt to do detailed structural design. Instead we stop at the point where the major 2D components (plates, frames, girders, decks, stiffeners etc.) are generated in Workshop from the 3D model. These are then exported via a DXF or IGES file to any general purpose CAD package such as AutoCAD, Microstation, CATIA etc.

Shipconstructor is an ideal environment for managing the parts generated from Workshop within AutoCAD, and gives the user a lot of ship specific drafting functions. It has very little overlap with the functions of Workshop - Shipconstructor functions commence where Workshop leaves off, so the two programs are complementary rather than in competition.

As a result of this we have added a specific Shipconstructor file output to Workshop to allow parts to be transferred to Shipconstructor while retaining all of the manufacturing data related to the part (i.e. part name, material, thickness, weight) that would otherwise be lost when transferred through a DXF file.

Please contact me via info@formsys.com if you would like further information or have a look at our web site. Demo versions of all our programs are available for download or a CD can be mailed out to you.

5. EmilSB

EmilSB Junior Member

What software...

I use Tribon M2 SP3. This software make all you need, but is very expensive. Tribon can import/export some types of files. For more details see:
    www.tribon.com

6. Milko Minchev

Milko Minchev Junior Member

Tribon M3 will be released soon. I am involved in its beta tests and from what I can see, there are lots of improvements comparing to M2 and earlier versions. However, while it is a good modeling tool, its build in programs for data extraction based on Excell are not quite powerful. To get the production information like parts lists and specifications some third party software could be considered like:
    Pipe specific - http://www.mbmproject.com/tribon-pipe-suite.php
    Structure specific - http://www.mbmproject.com/tribon-structure-suite.php

7. Dragos Patilea

Dragos Patilea New Member

Hello members!

Sal. Emil, hi Mr. Minchev (meet again ;) )!
    Tribon, hmmm... Funny, I was tester (before release ;) ) for M3 too.
    Regarding Hull, I understood there are some major changes. About Outfit - they especially change the code - some new codes were added already in M2SP4... I have to have patience to see the released M3 at work, anyway...

Actually is M1 style.
    But the lists may be easily customized (using VB) in order to get the needed info.

All the best!

8. Milko Minchev

Using these Excell templates there are few items to be considered:
    (1) In order to customize the output using VB, some programming and data extraction knowledge is required.
    (2) Excel/VB/Data extraction combination = bad overall performance, needs tons of patience to get your data. On top of that it is not quite reliable if big number of objects is requested. Just consider a list of 100,000 structure parts for example

9. Dragos Patilea

Dragos Patilea New Member

Both remarks are valid and welcomed. I know also lot of things that have to be done into macros before starting work with Outfitlist.xls, in order to avoid some "strange" behavoirs like "Model not found!", when there's a model in db's!
    The major advantage of this Excel file is the... Excel (!) - the result of data extraction, (good enough, depends on people demands and... knowledge ;) ) can be exported into any MsOffice app.
    All the best!
    Dragos

10. Milko Minchev

Yes Dragos, correct. In order to use the Excel's templates the users have to modify them. The advantage of MBM Project applications is that they are ready for use and can be customized upon customer's request. As far as all applications provide export to comma delimited (CSV) format, the output can be easy transferred to Excel or any other different application. At the same time neither Excel, nor any other commercial software is required (except Tribon of course).

11. ovidiuse

ovidiuse ONESoft Software

For Tribon Hull I developed some data extraction software tools for checking and verification the working in Hull/Nesting module. Software can export data directly in Excell format: Free options is available www.severnav.ro/download

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.