Want to buy ShipConstructor2004

Discussion in 'Software' started by Unregistered, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I want to find a copy of ShipConstructor2004.
    I would appreciate any help. Thanks

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks, but I am actually hopping for a much cheaper solution.....

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Is there any good free or low cost software that works with AutoCAD??

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Define "low cost". :p
    If you can afford AutoCAD, most of the design packages shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
    Steve

6. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

AutoCad LT is cheap - relatively.

7. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

ShipConstructor pricing

If you are in business building boats ShipConstructor pricing is not unreasonable, particularly as it scales with the complexity of the vessel you are building. A small builder can be using a version of ShipConstructor that costs 1/10th the price of what a large builder would use.

Say you buy a module that is enabled for a certain number of parts (for example 500 components) for a price of, for example $795, if you need another 500 parts in your vessel you pay another $795. This keeps going until you have paid 10*795, after that I believe the part count is not limited.

I think this is a very fair scheme that allows a user to scale the size and cost of their system to their needs. The details of the pricing may be different from the example I have quoted, but I believe the general structure is as I have described it. Please contact Ship Constructor directly for actual pricing.

If you are building a one off, ShipConstructor will probably be out of your price range unless it is a large vessel. In this case you are probably better off just working within AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT.

If on the other hand, you are looking for a copy of ShipConstructor for free, don't bother asking here. Software Developers are no different to naval architects and yacht designers in that they do not take kindly to their work being stolen.

8. fede

fede Senior Member

Just for curiosity how does Shipconstructor work?
    Andrew,I'm having a problem with Maxsurf, when I use "render" the hull gets squeezed...this is new...I''ve been working for a long period and all of a sudden I get this (see jpegs).
    By the way I just updated my Video card drivers, this is the only thing I have changed that I can think of).

Attached Files:

9. fede

fede Senior Member

this is how it shoul look... :confused:

Attached Files:

10. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Fede

Shipconstructor works within Autocad to provide a database of all the parts in a vessel as well as functions specific to the structural detailing of ships and workboats. The database side of things may not sound important to people doing small vessels, but keeping track of the thousands of parts in a larger vessel is of critical importance, particularly when you are trying to control weight and cost.

Regarding the rendering, it's a video driver problem. There are some known issues with drivers for some Toshiba laptops, some Radeon cards, and some older Matrox cards - are you using any of these?

11. fede

fede Senior Member

Yep!
    I'm one of the older Matrox card user, it worked fine with win xp drivers, after updating the drivers I got this problem...I'll go back to the xp driver or (it's probably time) I'll get a new Video Card.
    Thanks!

12. Slipy

Slipy Junior Member

Say you buy a module that is enabled for a certain number of parts (for example 500 components) for a price of, for example $795,

13. Slipy

Slipy Junior Member

>Say you buy a module that is enabled for a certain number of parts (for >example 500 components) for a price of, for example $795,

Is it 500 parts per whole project or per block?

Best regards
    Slipy

14. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Only 500 parts per project.

15. MaciekP

MaciekP Guest

ShipConstructor

Is it possible to work on 5 licences (up to 500 elements) on 5 workstation to get whole ship construction about 2500 elements - one ship unit will be done on one workstation ?
    Is it possible to get CG of whole construction in Shipconstructor ? (in demo tutorial i can read only about CG of hull surface).
    Is it possible to work in structure module without ShipCam - how to get/import cross frames etc. from hull model ?
    Mayby somebody who works in SC2002 and SC2004 will tell why I should buy 2004 (now we plan to buy 2002 because whole office is working on WIN NT 4.0 which doesn't support SC2004).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.