Use of ProE software in marine industry

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptia, Mar 9, 2010.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Guys,

I would like to know if anyone has a hands on experience on ProE software in modeling of boats. It is urgent that we have to make a decision on the purchase of the software, so I would like you all to contribute your experience in ProE to be used for the modeling of boats.

2. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

I dont have hands on experiece with ProE but I know that Hanseatic Marine use it extensively, I think they have had to do some customisation.

Talk to the ProE people in Perth, they will know more about it.

3. conceptia

thanks a lot for the help Ali... Actually we need a third party info on the software, cos we need to be sure whether we are going to purchase it or not...

4. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

maxsurf + rhino is perfect configuration

5. fewfish

fewfish Junior Member

Customization is the key word.

You will have to customize everything.

But the real question is what do you want to do with it.

If it is hull design - there are better and cheaper choices

If it is systems (pipes, and equipent) it is OK.

If you need production drawings for steel - there are better solutions.

What do you need it for?

6. conceptia

hey fewfish, the main job will be the complete 3D modelling of fiber boats in the Pro-E software

7. fewfish

fewfish Junior Member

I have some experience with modeling fiberglass boats in pro/e.

Modeling hull and structure was quite OK. You can do cuts, rounded edges to simulate how real structure would be placed and executed. With protrusions you can model stiffeners that are perpendicular to shell and have variable sections.
    Shells, surfaces curves are something that is not very intuitive to grasp. You can import all kinds of surfaces but they are "dead" to pro/e. If you model it in pro/e it is very powerful and fast.

Placing equipment was a joy. Very simple and accurate.

Drawings are tough. Where you need to represent a frame with hull visible you have to do section like mechanical engineers are used to. Pro/e is software based on mech engineer approach.
    If you stick with 3D layout and balloons for marking structure, you'll do fine.

One thing that was trouble for me was when I made general arrangement drawing, with notes, and all the works, and after that added something in the model, it all moved in the drawing. That is probably something that you can control but I do not know how.

That is it from my experience.

Keep in mind that pro/e is time consuming to learn at efficient level. And a lot of work is needed to get the system do what you want in a way that you want.

If we were choosing 3d software for general modeling at this point we would also include Think3 into consideration among other popular choices.

If you would like to hear something about shipbuilding specialized software just let me know.

8. conceptia

thanks a lot man...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.