Tapered Fillet in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willallison, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm wondering what the best way of producing what I would call a 'tapered fillet' in Rhino. The fillet would be between the bottom and what is essentially a box keel, that stops some way short of the transom.
    I'm tring to create a smooth 'joint' between the two surfaces up fwd that hardens to a tighter radius aft. A simple fillet in Rhino produces the opposite.

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Maybe edge curve or curve network, place the start radius and end radius along with the surface edges.

3. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Will,

You can either use the variable radius fillet command for unjoined surfaces or the filletedge command for joined (poly) surfaces. Both allow you to set the type of radius (rolling ball, distance from edge, or distance between rails), and to add points where you can change the radius if needed. If you learn to use these commands I am sure you will get what you need.

It helps to dock the help window on the left or right side of the screen. Then when you enter a command the help menu shows how to use the commands, sometimes with a little video as well (click the arrow in the bottom left corner of the image to run it).

This all assumes you are using Rhino 4 with the latest service release.

The Rhino newsgroup is also a great place for questions. You will usually receive an answer from Rhino staff or experienced users very quickly after you post there.

4. Willallison

Thanks Gary, Joe
    I'm afraid I'm still with my trusty old Rhino 3. I'll have a bit more of a play and see what I can come up with. Otherwise, I may to re-examine how I've built the model in the 1st place... that or an update to R4....

5. Willallison

Oh - and re placing the help menu... I use two screens.... I don't know how I ever got by with one!

6. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

Well if you don't have Rhino 4 then a work-around is to create a pipe using the edge of the keel/hull intersectiopn as your pipe centerline and giving different radii for the start and end. Then trim the two surfaces with the pipe. After that use blendsrf between the two surfaces. See if that helps.

7. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Here is one example:

1. Cut the filleted edges.
    2. Use _Blend command to "fillet" the edge curves at centre line (check Continuity=Tangency).
    3. Use _Sweep2 command to fillet the gap. Use cutted edges as rails, blended curves as cross sections and check the surface edges tangency.

Terho

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.