surface trimming in Maxsurf, NavalDesigner and or Autoship

Discussion in 'Software' started by innomare, Feb 13, 2005.

1. innomare

innomare Naval Architect

Hi,

is it possible to trim a surface to another one without having to set control points (vertexes) at the intersection line with any of these softwares?

For example: You model a deck as limited by the hull surface. Or you model a propellor tunnel limited by the hull surface.
    As far as I have found now (having only used trial versions) it seems you always have to limit a surface by NURBS control points. This gets complicated if you have already modelled a hull form and then later on want to put a deck in it at a certain level. You have to insert a new row or column of control points in the original hull shape, with the risk of making it a lot more complex than initially intended.
    Am I missing something or is there a reason why it's not possible?

Bruno

PS I haven't tried Autoship, can anyone fill in if it's possible with Autoship or any other software for that matter?

2. innomare

innomare Naval Architect

I just found out: Multisurf seems to do what I describe above.
    Is it otherwise as easy to use as f.e. Naval Designer? Or should you anyway import the hullform from another program?

3. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

I can't speak for these programs but TouchCAD does it very well. You can simultaneously trim any number of curves, surfaces, or any given selection of control points located in any number of curves or objects, to any number of surfaces (grouped) or curves, even curves within a surface. TouchCAD also provides depth aware 2D and 3D snapping not only to control points but also to individual mesh points within a curve or surface. It of course also helps that all control points are located on the object and not vaguely beside it.

www.touchcad.com

4. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

It works in AutoShip.
    Also works in Rhino.

5. innomare

innomare Naval Architect

Great, thanks!

6. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Maxsurf trimming works by simply modelling two surfaces that intersect and selecting the regions, defined by the intersection lines, that you want trimmed away.

After that the trimming is dynamic, in that if you modify the shape of one of the surfaces, the trimming will update automatically i.e. you do not need to redefine the trimming regions

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.