Stability Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by ABoatGuy, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

For high end stability: Autoships AutoHydro or GHS or ???

Advantages/Dis-Advantages?

I need to make a decision.

Thanks for the input.

2. redcoopers

redcoopers Member

I've used GHS, but cannot comment on the other software.

Basically, it works quite well (since hydrostatics is what it was designed to do). However, I've noticed that for damaged stability in very extreme conditions, the trim and sinkage iterations become unstable. In other words, I think there is a problem with calculating the free surface in various flooded compartments at 30+ deg heel.

However, I still think GHS is good software. By the time you do hydro"static" calculations on a sinking ship, it may be a better use of time to do calculations on how many liferafts you need.

-Jon

3. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Try Hydromax, I am confident you will find it much better than either GHS or AutoHydro

4. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Junior Member

I can only agree with Andrew - I've only used Hydromax but it has never let me down - once you know how to use it properly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.