Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Stability and hydrostatics capability in a free CAD

Im currently using Delftship and really need inclined plane visualation and calculations, centres etc for a project im working on.

Im a poor grad student and wondering if there a free/low cost CAD with an hydrodynamics/hydrostatic analysis extension that I can output dxf or other Deftship filetypes files to?

I understand Autocad with add ons has this ability. Is there an Autocad clone out there that I could do this with and if so where do I get the extensions from.

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 AM

Rep: 199 Posts: 298
Barbera, can you specify a little more? What output data are you searching for? Some inclined analysis can be done inside Delftship, with no needing of other softwares. Transversal stability can be done inside Freeship or by ArchimedesMB and some free spreadsheets available here.
There are many plugins for autoCAD, Rhino, etc., but all of them are commercial (and sometimes expensive) software.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Thanks QQ,

Im specifically after inclined planes, waterlines and the location of centres when heeled and trimmed both graphically and numerically outputs if possible. Im new to Delftship and have Freeship which seems to have a few more capabilities but cant work out how to transfer files between them - but that might be my fault.

Ive also got Archimedes but havnt had the time to really get to know it so ill look into that more. The user manual isnt overly detailed but again i guess its a familiarity thing.

Thanks for the reply,

Babs
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Rep: 199 Posts: 298
Attached is a very basic Delftship file having inclined - heeled waterlines. This technic has been discused in BD many times, try searching the forum (better from google), you'll find some clues. In short:
1- deactivate symetry for involved layers (hydro info disapears)
2- reactivate hydrostatics for them
3- make a mirror of them (here, hydrostatics centers and area curves should reapear).
4- rotate over longitudinal axis at your angle of interest
5- change Design Draft until reaching original Displacement
6- rotate over transversal axis until CG vertically mates LCB
7- repeat 5 and 6 until convergence

ArchimedesMB has been discontinued long time ago, it will never have a finished manual, you'll need some practice.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: fbm YD40heeled.fbm (63.6 KB, 99 views)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 AM

Rep: 154 Posts: 329
Do you have freeship? I think its more helpful then the delftship free...

If you have archimedes then you can do many of the hydrostatic and stability works for free,

But for all... the most important thing is you have to go through very well to those softwares....you can read manuals,
Albert Einstein
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Rep: 13 Posts: 25
MAAT Hydro's free demo version also provides interesting hydrostatic analysis capabilities (real time SAC & hydro, intact stability, swell motions, etc... are available for free !). You can visit http://www.rhino3d.com/resources?id=4983 / www.sistre.eu to see if it may help you !

Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Rep: 1433 Posts: 3,039
Rhino3D can do all the primary calculations but by itself does not provide graphical output. Manual iteration is needed to find equilbrium for heeled condtions. Rhino3d imports and exports .dxf files as well as a number of other formats. Student price is $195. www.rhino3d.com

Orca3D is an add-in for Rhino which simplifies and automates hydrostatic calculations and provides graphical output. Level 1 includes hydrostatic calculations and the student price is $125. www.orca3d.com